Apache2ctl not found - trying to install certbot

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache2ctl not found - trying to install certbot

Postby xjimdim » 15. April 2020 17:44

Hey guys!

So, I have a xampp setup running in a hetzner server and I'm trying to set up an ssl certificate (Certbot) for one of my sites.

I get the following error from running: sudo /usr/local/bin/certbot-auto certonly --apache

Could not choose appropriate plugin: The apache plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration.
The error was: NoInstallationError('Cannot find Apache executable apache2ctl',)

generally the server is running smoothly from /opt/lampp but for some reason I dont have the apache2ctl command generally available
Can anybody help me set it up?

thanks
xjimdim

XAMPP version: 1.8.0
Operating System: Debian

Re: Apache2ctl not found - trying to install certbot

Postby Nobbie » 15. April 2020 19:15

I simply looked into /opt/lampp/bin and found an "apachectl" (without "2" in the middle). Probably thats the same file. Simply link it to apache2ctl. Keep also in mind, that you might have to include /opt/lampp/bin to the system PATH (what is NOT done by the Xampp installer).

As i personally dont like the certbot installation from letsencrypt (i have to install it to my QNAP NAS, what is quite difficult), i installed my certificates from sslforfree.com. These are the same certificates from letsencrypt, but they offer a much easier way via FTP (what i find much easier). Just in case you dont get it working with apache2ctl.

Finally, dont forget, all these free certificates are only valid for three months. Then you have to update them. Is it such important for you to have https: for your site (actually i dont think so)?

And - last not least - why did you go for your own server? Its expensive, it requires a lots of skills (what you are struggling with), its not maintained in case of any problems - why didnt you simply go for a "normal" webspace? Its cheap, its maintained, its easy. Including SSL support.
Nobbie

Postby xjimdim » 15. April 2020 20:48

that did the trick! thanks man

well i want to try and learn things like that. It's not that I need the ssl, it's just that the previous server had it and all the links in the site are with https so it's better to enable it than refactor everything.

Either way, thanks a lot
Last edited by xjimdim on 15. April 2020 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
xjimdim

Postby Nobbie » 15. April 2020 20:57

xjimdim wrote:that did the trick!

Which "that"? Linking to apache2ctl, or installing from sslforfree.com?
Nobbie

Postby xjimdim » 16. April 2020 08:03

the sslforfree.com solution. Seemed more straight forward
xjimdim

Return to XAMPP for Linux