Setting the right permissions

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Setting the right permissions

Postby josf » 11. February 2020 03:16

Gents, I have a real big problem getting Xampp to work after a crash. I work on Ubuntu 18.04. I used this tutorial to install Xampp:
http://www.codebind.com/linux-tutorials/install-xampp-ubuntu-18-04]tutorial.
Problem are the user rights and privileges. If you follow this tutorial, it won't work. So I used this tutorial to get the permissions right:
https://www.computernetworkingnotes.com/linux-tutorials/xampp-htdocs-permission-issue-and-fix-in-ubuntu.html

I set my user (!'m the only one using this pc) to chmod -R 777 /opt/lampp/htdocs. 755 is better, but doesn't work for me.

Privileges on a joomla folder are:
Owner: Me (create and delete)
Group: jos (create and delete)
Others: (access files)

I'm still not there. When in stalling Joomla I have to manually remove the installation folder. Before I get that far, I have to set the FTP configuration in Joomla, which I never had to do before the crash. I have to manually create a configuration.php file as well.

Everything works, it's the privileges that cause the hick-ups. Who can help get these privileges in order?
josf

XAMPP version: 7.4.2
Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04

Re: Setting the right permissions

Postby Nobbie » 11. February 2020 11:21

1) You dont need an FTP server for a local installation -> choose "No" for FTP Server.

2) Repeat "chmod 777 ." in a terminal inside the Joomla root folder before creating configuration.php and deleting installation folder.
Nobbie

Postby josf » 12. February 2020 01:34

Thanks for your help. I'm having permission issues. I've installed Xampp in the past and never had to do these kind of things. Normally, I hit the remove installation button to finish the installation process. Likewise, I normally never have to write a configuration file or setup FTP connections. At the moment I remove the installation folder manually, and I set the privileges for all files and folders to create and delete. If I don't, I can't install software in the Jooma installation.

But that isn't right. I know it's a permission issue. I just don't know how to solve it.
josf

Postby Nobbie » 12. February 2020 09:47

josf wrote:I know it's a permission issue. I just don't know how to solve it.

If you did not read my second hint, i cannot help you any further.
Nobbie

Postby josf » 13. February 2020 01:26

Joomla creates the configuration file. I normally won't have to do that. Deleting the installation folder is clicking on the button - but no more. As i said: it's a permission issue.
josf

Postby Nobbie » 13. February 2020 10:24

josf wrote:Joomla creates the configuration file.

Yes, so it does for me.

josf wrote:As i said: it's a permission issue.

And as i said, my second hint solves that issue. Why dont you simply do what i tell you? Why are you asking, if you dont want to follow the solution?

I downloaded the same Xampp version as yours, and the newest Joomla and run a full installtion ONLY TO HELP YOU. And you cannot simply follow my advice? How poor. I give up at this point.
Nobbie

Postby josf » 17. February 2020 03:18

I did. The biggest problem is that applications are installed by the user/group daemon. It takes ownership. Each and every time I install something i have to chmod 777 to get it back. That's not good.

I tried to get around this by adding my user (jos) to the group daemon, and daemon to the group jos. But that doesn't help much.
josf

Postby Nobbie » 17. February 2020 12:13

josf wrote:The biggest problem is that applications are installed by the user/group daemon.

Which applications? And what do you mean by "user/group daemon"? Never heard about such a daemon. Do you mean, your applications (which?) are installed with UserID "daemon" und Group "daemon"? If so - that is YOUR linux configuration.

Actually, i dont really understand the problem. Linux comes with certain rights management and files belong to Users and Groups. And you should have root priviliges in order to install system wide software tools (like Xampp), as this is a typically administrative task. And yes, you have to modify Users/Groups and rights to your needs. Xampp does not know anything about your Users and its on you to configure Joomla, WordPress etc. properly (with the help of root priviliges of course) in order to run smoothly. Thats how it is on Linux. Linux is not Windows.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux