NEWBIE: webserver question.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

NEWBIE: webserver question.

Postby dale04 » 08. April 2007 07:30

i got my xampp running smoothly and already got a registered dns.
my question is: being a webserver, should my pc always be online so that people got access to my website all the time? if that so, how does other website be available 24/7? don't their computers take a nap? this web thing got more interesting since i got my 1st xampp, and im really eager to learn all bout this. im looking forward that someday i will be the one of the forum admin giving help to those who want to learn like me, although me myself needs help too for now, lol! :lol:
please help me guys, support is very much appreciated. :)
dale04

Postby skylive » 08. April 2007 14:30

Hi dale04
I'm sorry, but you have to keep your computer on 24/7 if you want your website to be available. This is because people view your website as you are sending them the info from your computer. If your computer isn't up, how is it going to send this info?

Those websites up 24/7 have specialized servers, or have modified their computers to run on low power and not provide too much heat, thus able to run for long periods of time. Unlike a normal home computer, which may (Not always though) overheat after running for long periods of time.
skylive

Postby dale04 » 08. April 2007 16:03

thanks skylive, just as i though. :)
dale04

Return to XAMPP for Windows