Apache Problem...Please post in English

Alles, was den Apache betrifft, kann hier besprochen werden.

Apache Problem...Please post in English

Postby AirBorneDude501 » 16. February 2007 05:24

I have only found solution (I think) in other languages other than english.

That is why I am asking the question...

A little background about my web site.

I have been using Xampp for Linux for about 1 year. No problem at all, Xampp is awesome!!!

My problem came up when I wanted to upgrade my webserver to a newer and faster machine. I run my webserver from my house. I use Damn Small Linux.

I setup my new web server, installed Xampp. No problems.

I went over to my old web server and ran a backup /opt/lampp/ lampp backup password

I ftp'd my xampp_backup.sh to my new system. I ran the xampp_backup.sh

sh xampp_backup.sh

No problem... no errors, it seemed to have worked.

The problem is when I stopped and tried to restart xampp.

I got the "Xampp: Another web server daemon is already running"

How can this be??? There was no web server previously on it. This didn't happen until I ran the xampp_backup.sh ...

I am not an Apache expert, can someone point me in the right direction???? I checked the logs and it doesn't say anything. There must be something I am missing. I have tried to read about other people having this problem but they are all in other languages... PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thanks in advice.
Last edited by AirBorneDude501 on 25. February 2007 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
AirBorneDude501

More info

Postby AirBorneDude501 » 16. February 2007 06:11

I found a little more info in english on this site, people talk editing the lampp script and changing the ports.

I am not sure this will work. I need Apache to listen on port 80. there has got to be a solution to this.

Please someone please help. I am pull my hair out trying to understand why this isn't working.

I went through the lampp script and I don't know why it would find another web server up and running when it tries to bring Apache up.
AirBorneDude501

Postby AirBorneDude501 » 25. February 2007 01:49

I fixed this problem "Xampp: Another web server daemon is already running"

If anyone runs into this problem, this little procedure worked for me. Here it is...

First I backed up my old web server

/opt/lampp/lampp backup password

Then I installed xampp on my new web server, while the backup was running on the old web server.

After the install, I only started MySQL on new system.

/opt/lamp/lampp startmysql

I ftp'd the backup file from the old web server to the new

I ran the backup file on the new web server.

After the backup ran, I stopped MySQL

/opt/lampp/lampp stopmysql

Then I started everything.

/opt/lampp/lampp start

I tested it out, I stopped and started it a couple of times. Everything is working, I no longer get the error of another Apache daemon running.

So again if you are running a forum that uses MySQL, you need to only start the MySQL DB during the restore (running of the backup .sh script).

I am a Oracle DBA, I have been for awhile. This had me stumped for a week, I knew that I wasn't that dumb. I just wasn't thinking it out. Once I thought it out and had a plan, everything fell into place.

I port forwarded my router from the old to the new web server. It totally flies now, very fast.

I want to say thanks for the people of XAMPP... I appreicate your hardwork, this package is almost is great is Linux. Thanks again.
AirBorneDude501

Postby rup3rt » 25. April 2007 16:49

I had the same problem, there was no httpd service or any process I could see, I tried the steps above but they failed. I tried

apachectl -k stop

then restarted lampp and it worked fine

R3
rup3rt

Return to Apache