PV.EXE failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142) [RESOLVED]

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

PV.EXE failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142) [RESOLVED]

Postby kate1066 » 16. February 2007 12:18

Hi Everyone
This is my first time here and would really appreciate your help.

I am running Xampp (current version) on an Windows XP pc with 1gb memory and a 160gb hdd and runs at 2.2ghz.

Everything is running fine until a few hours later (say over night when activity is low)

I get the following error on the screen:

pv.exe The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142) Click to Terminate the application.

When I check Xampp control I find that Filezilla is in error state, apache is running along with MySql.

Clicking on the settings button in the contol I now find that filezilla and mercury are now ticked (I don't use either of the options and they are normally unticked here). I don't run them from the control panel either.

The error on the control panel reads

Error: Status Check Failure [2]

I would include print screens however when I try to run any application after this error I get
Insufficient system resourses

When I reboot the server runs fine again no error messages !

Currently running a scandisk then a defrag but this is a brand new pc.

Can anyone shed some light on the above because I'm now stumped. The installation was easy with no problems.

I will attach a photo when it happens again.

Your help would be most appreciated.

Regards
Kate
Last edited by kate1066 on 18. February 2007 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
kate1066

Same issue

Postby msujaws » 16. February 2007 16:28

I have been having the exact same issue. I only use Apache and MySQL and after a while, I get a notice that PV.exe failed, and then all the items in the control panel turn from either 'stopped' or 'running' to 'Error'. The console reads 'Error [4]', and sometimes 'Error [3]'.

Also, my system resources get eaten up enough that I can't run any other programs.

I am using the latest stable version of XAMPP (1.5.5), and my computer has 512 mb of ram and 2.6 gigahertz, running Windows XP.
msujaws

Re: PV.EXE failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)

Postby kate1066 » 16. February 2007 18:11

The Scandisk and Defrag have been done but problem has come back... forgot to photograph error will get it next time promise.

I've now switched off zonealarm firewall to see if that makes a difference as I also get an error message after the pv.exe for the firewall so will post info on this when it becomes available.

Please help.

Regards
Kate
kate1066

Re: Same issue

Postby kate1066 » 16. February 2007 19:35

msujaws wrote:I have been having the exact same issue. I only use Apache and MySQL and after a while, I get a notice that PV.exe failed, and then all the items in the control panel turn from either 'stopped' or 'running' to 'Error'. The console reads 'Error [4]', and sometimes 'Error [3]'.

Also, my system resources get eaten up enough that I can't run any other programs.

I am using the latest stable version of XAMPP (1.5.5), and my computer has 512 mb of ram and 2.6 gigahertz, running Windows XP.

Do you need filezilla or mercury ? If not try the XamppLite version. I've now just installed the light version as the error message came up on filezilla/mercury. So in theory...... if they are NOT installed surely they won't error ! (keeping fingers crossed here)

I've also installed .net framework 2.0 & all updates and then installed .net framework 3. so far so good but have taken the website off line.... I'm not going to annoy my customers anymore until this is stable.

Will let you know if it keeps stable.
Regards
Kate
p.s. I'm not running apache or mysql as services !
kate1066

XamppLite

Postby msujaws » 16. February 2007 20:31

I'm not currently using Mercury Mail or FileZilla, but have used MercuryMail in the past for a site that needed email confirmations (so xampp lite seems out of the picture). I have since changed my firewall settings to only allow requests from my IP address, so I am hoping that will stop it (although I haven't turned on XAMPP since, so I haven't had the opportunity for it to crash).

I've been using XAMPP for over a year now, with no problems like this before, so I am not sure why this has started happening. It started with my older version (1.1.3 I believe), and so I upgraded but it continues to happen.
msujaws

Re: XamppLite

Postby kate1066 » 16. February 2007 20:41

msujaws wrote:I'm not currently using Mercury Mail or FileZilla, but have used MercuryMail in the past for a site that needed email confirmations (so xampp lite seems out of the picture). I have since changed my firewall settings to only allow requests from my IP address, so I am hoping that will stop it (although I haven't turned on XAMPP since, so I haven't had the opportunity for it to crash).

I've been using XAMPP for over a year now, with no problems like this before, so I am not sure why this has started happening. It started with my older version (1.1.3 I believe), and so I upgraded but it continues to happen.

I take it you are running the options via services. Have you tried running them manually rather than services ? I'm thinking this because I have just migrated from a win98 pc to my new xp and I had NO problems on the win98 as it can't run services. Just a thought.

Maybe worth a try.

Kate
kate1066

Postby Wiedmann » 16. February 2007 20:59

pv.exe The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142) Click to Terminate the application.

Your antivirus blocks this application.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby kate1066 » 16. February 2007 21:08

Wiedmann wrote:

Your antivirus blocks this application.

Its a possibility but why didn't it get blocked on my windows 98 server. Same setup, same version antivirus and an older version of zone alarm ?
kate1066

Postby Wiedmann » 16. February 2007 21:12

Its a possibility

I think you should first test this.

but why didn't it get blocked on my windows 98 server.

If this is the reason, ask the author of your antivirus solution.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

May have resolved the problem

Postby kate1066 » 17. February 2007 20:15

Looks like I found the problem. ZONEALARM

I got errors again even on XamppLite so I uninstalled Zone Alarm 7 last night and ran the server all night without a firewall and left the AVG antivirus running.

No error messages, no crashes & no problem with system resources.

Guess the problem was the firewall afterall. Somehow clashing with Xampp.

I am now testing an older version of ZoneAlarm to find one that will not crash Xampp.

My suggestion would be if you have a similar problem is to disable your firewall and see if you keep getting the errors... if not looks like your firewall to be at fault. If you do then perhaps try the same thing with your antivirus software.

Will let you know the result of tonights testing.
Kate
kate1066

Postby kate1066 » 18. February 2007 13:08

Just to let you guys know. I have resolved this problem on my server.

As suspected it was ZoneAlarm 7 which was clashing with Xampp.

Last night I ran AVG antivirus along with ZoneAlarm ver 6.737 on the server with out any problems whatsoever not even a blip.

Thanks for all those who contributed.

Kate
kate1066

Still having problems

Postby msujaws » 21. February 2007 22:28

I took Kate's advice and thought maybe it was a conflicting program. I disabled SpySweeper, which I thought may be causing the conflict, and I still have the error. I am not using ZoneAlarm, and I am simply using Windows Firewall as the lone firewall on the system.

I got the "Application Failed To Initialize Properly" error today, after running XAMPP for about 20 minutes. Then the XAMPP console proceeded to scroll: "ERROR: Status Check Failure [2]", which next was "ERROR: Status Check Failure [3]", and then "ERROR: Status Check Failure [4]". The [4] continued without alternating to any other numbers.

A memory leak occurs when this happens, which eats up almost all system resources, and will not allow Ctrl-Alt-Delete to be executed, nor any other processes to be started.
msujaws

Re: Still having problems

Postby kate1066 » 22. February 2007 13:08

msujaws wrote:I took Kate's advice and thought maybe it was a conflicting program. I disabled SpySweeper, which I thought may be causing the conflict, and I still have the error. I am not using ZoneAlarm, and I am simply using Windows Firewall as the lone firewall on the system.

I got the "Application Failed To Initialize Properly" error today, after running XAMPP for about 20 minutes. Then the XAMPP console proceeded to scroll: "ERROR: Status Check Failure [2]", which next was "ERROR: Status Check Failure [3]", and then "ERROR: Status Check Failure [4]". The [4] continued without alternating to any other numbers.

A memory leak occurs when this happens, which eats up almost all system resources, and will not allow Ctrl-Alt-Delete to be executed, nor any other processes to be started.

try running without the firewall at all and see if you get the errors. If you dont' then you will have to find another firewall (an earlier version of Zone Alarm might work well but you will have to see which version for your server by testing various versions). If you do check what else you are running and remove one by one to see what is conflicting. In my case it was ZoneAlarm 7 but it could be something else for you.
Hope this helps
Kate
kate1066

Postby kate1066 » 22. February 2007 13:10

BTW - my server has NOT crashed since changing the version of zonealarm!
kate1066

Postby msujaws » 05. March 2007 21:57

I have tried running XAMPP with Windows Firewall (my computer disconnected from the internet) and the problem seems to subside, but I cannot picture myself actually turning off firewalls while connected to the internet.

There must be a better way to fix the problem that people have been experiencing with XAMPP and firewalls. I have Windows Firewall set to allow exceptions for my subnet only, but that hasn't seemed to make a difference.
msujaws

Return to XAMPP for Windows