Sorry, another PHP query

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Sorry, another PHP query

Postby thevoid » 14. February 2007 21:48

Hi, I've read the posts below pertaining to PHP but they didn't give answers so I'm hoping someone can help.

I'm trying a few basic PHP scripts, but as soon as I give a file a .php extension, Windows will not recognise it. I can see the XAMPP demo pages ok, so am wondering why this is happening.

I'm having no problems viewing HTML documents from the htdocs dir and have run a few small Perl scripts ok from the cgi-bin, but no luck with PHP... any suggestions?

Thanks
Paul.
thevoid

Postby Wiedmann » 14. February 2007 22:09

but as soon as I give a file a .php extension, Windows will not recognise it

What happens instead?

Or, what are you doing exactly?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby thevoid » 14. February 2007 22:40

basically when I try to save a php script so that I can browse for it, if I give it the .php extension it shows as the icon that Windows uses when it doesn't recognise a file type. If I change it to .htm for example, it will show as the icon for an html document.

If I call it helloworld.php it won't be recognised as a valid file type and Apache won't be able to find it, but if I call it helloworld.htm it will. It's strange, as like I said, I can view the xampp demo pages ok, there is a php directory in the xampp directory, full of .dll files... all of the .php files that came with xampp are showing as files that windows doesn't recognise.
thevoid

Postby Wiedmann » 14. February 2007 22:58

when I try to save a php script so that I can browse for it, if I give it the .php extension it shows as the icon that Windows uses when it doesn't recognise a file type.

That's normal.
BTW: Windows file associations have nothing to do with the working of XAMPP.

it won't be recognised as a valid file type and Apache won't be able to find it

The original error message?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby thevoid » 15. February 2007 06:54

Wiedmann wrote:
when I try to save a php script so that I can browse for it, if I give it the .php extension it shows as the icon that Windows uses when it doesn't recognise a file type.

That's normal.
BTW: Windows file associations have nothing to do with the working of XAMPP.

ah, ok

it won't be recognised as a valid file type and Apache won't be able to find it

The original error message?

It's this little beauty -

Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404
localhost
02/15/07 05:44:46
Apache/2.2.3 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8d mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.2.0 mod_perl/2.0.2 Perl/v5.8.8

I've been putting it in c:\programfiles\xampp\php and browsing for it using localhost/php/helloworld.php
thevoid

Postby Wiedmann » 15. February 2007 09:10

I've been putting it in c:\programfiles\xampp\php and browsing for it using localhost/php/helloworld.php

That's the wrong directory for your files.

One question: You have read the "readme_en.txt"?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby thevoid » 15. February 2007 21:52

erm no...

have just read it and got it working now

thanks so much for your help

TAXI!!!! :arrow:
thevoid

Return to XAMPP for Windows