What version of XAMPP?

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

What version of XAMPP?

Postby twcmex » 19. January 2007 17:35

My hosting company takes a conservative approach to there server environment for stability. What release would provide me with a dev environment most like my host:

Apache - 1.3.3.7
PHP - 4.4.4
MYSQL - 4.1.21

I found a link the other day to a list of older versions of XAMPP on sourceforge, but it seems to be hiding from me now!

I will be running XAMPP on Ubuntu Linux. I understand that I can choose PHP4 from the CLI but I'd also like to use Apache and MYSQL as above. If using an older version of XAMPP has drawbacks with security or bugs, please inform.
Joe Williams
twcmex

Postby xnemesis » 19. January 2007 20:22

ok take a look at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=60248
That provides the previous versions. Though you are going to struggle! xampp has never support versions of apache pre 2.0 (I believe lampp did this but can you get hold of it? doubtful). Also with MySQL That exact version (.21) was never included, it skipped over a few version.
The only match that is actually available is PHP 4.4.4 which is in xampp 1.5.4. What you really want is to build the packages seperately to get an exact match.

Hope this is of help
xnemesis

Postby twcmex » 19. January 2007 21:36

Well maybe I could do this another way:
xnemesis wrote:...<snip>
The only match that is actually available is PHP 4.4.4 which is in xampp 1.5.4. ...<snip>

If I use XAMPP 1.5.5a and simply run :

Code: Select all
/opt/lampp/lampp php4

to get close on the PHP version but running newer Apache and MySQL, do you think I could do Joomla site dev work that would run well on my hosts setup?

For example, are there any caveats when importing a data base from one MYSQL version to an older version? I don't expect to be doing anything out of the ordinary with databases...I just would like to be able to develop Joomla sites and templates on XAMPP with a reasonable certainty that they could be moved to the shared hosting production environment with out too much pain.
Joe Williams
twcmex

Postby xnemesis » 19. January 2007 21:47

This would in theory work. The compatibility issues will mainly be with PHP and MySQL, Apache should cause you know issues. PHP, well you'll be running the same version.
In regards to MySQL, if it is the most basic of MySQL there will be no problems. I presume it won't be THAT basic, take a look at http://www.mysql.org/doc/refman/5.0/en/ ... shell.html and keep those changes in mind when using MySQL. This should prevent too much aggro on switching over.
You may also wish to look at xampp's Development package, though I'm unsure if this would provide you with what you want, as I've not used it. But worth a shot.

Best of luck and hope I've been of some help!
xnemesis

Postby twcmex » 19. January 2007 22:15

xnemesis wrote:...hope I've been of some help!

Yes you have,

thanks!
Joe Williams
twcmex

Postby xnemesis » 20. January 2007 03:41

Lol no probs! There seems to be a lack of english support at the moment, so I'm trying my best :)
xnemesis

Return to XAMPP for Linux