Ready to Upload

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Ready to Upload

Postby phasar » 08. December 2006 17:57

Hi All

I used xampp to build my new website on my computer. I used Xoops for my CMS.

Now I've completed building the site and I'm ready to upload it to my host. What do I have to do? I've tried a few of the external features on the site, but they don't work because they can't find http://localhost/etc. So obviously I have to make some changes to links, etc. before I upload. And I can't find a feature to backup the database in phpmyadmin.

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks
Frank
phasar

Re: Ready to Upload

Postby Izzy » 09. December 2006 01:21

phasar wrote:Hi All

I used xampp to build my new website on my computer. I used Xoops for my CMS.

Now I've completed building the site and I'm ready to upload it to my host. What do I have to do? I've tried a few of the external features on the site, but they don't work because they can't find http://localhost/etc. So obviously I have to make some changes to links, etc. before I upload. And I can't find a feature to backup the database in phpmyadmin.

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks
Frank

First of all XAMPP doesn't build web sites it serves them, just in case other readers believe there is some web site building feature in XAMPP they have missed.

You upload your site in the normal manner using your ftp client, following the original instructions in your CMS with regard to file permissions as they are not required in your XAMPP for Windows.

Try and use the same directory structure you have in XAMPP, for example if you installed to /htdocs/xoop/ then use /public_html/xoop/ at your remote host.

When the upload is finished you go into your CMS and check and change all the paths and links to those of your remote hosting site.

To get a copy of your database you use Export to an *.sql file in phpMyAdmin and remember to export it in the same format and version used by your hosting provider or you will get errors.

You create the same CMS database as you have on XAMPP in your hosting provider then use phpMyAdmin from your control panel to administer that database.

Then you Import the database *.sql file you Exported into your newly created database on your remote host using the Import menu item after you have selected your CMS database - which at this stage will not have any tables or data as that is what you will be Importing.

Then make sure everything is correct in your CMS's configuration files.

The order of things should be like this:
Upload the CMS via FTP.
Export the Database data.
Create the CMS Database on the Remote Host.
Import the Database data.
Run the CMS Admin and change the details to reflect the Remote Host location.
Test your CMS in your browser and make adjustments to your config as required.
Job done.

As with all good recipes you would put a touch of your own flair into the above ingredients. ;)

If all that fails or gives you too much hassle all you need to do is a fresh CMS install on your remote host and then refer to your local XAMPP installation for the changes you made and make the same changes on the remote host CMS installation.
Double work but often less confusing for someone who is new to all of this.
Izzy

Postby sbboyd » 31. December 2006 01:43

What if I need to upload my files into the root directory of public_html location.

i am just using the mySQL database, so to my understanding, all i need to do is the export/import feature.

thank you for your support...
sbboyd

Postby phasar » 05. January 2007 10:43

It was in a /xoops/ subdirectory. But I dont want it there now. On my new site I just want index.php to load at the url not www.url.com/xoops/index.php. How can I change that?
phasar

Postby phasar » 18. January 2007 16:18

Thanks for the Great advice. I was able to muddle through it without too many problems. The sites finally live at www.franksrecipes.com

:D
phasar

Return to XAMPP for Windows