"DESCRIBE" fails??

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

"DESCRIBE" fails??

Postby jacques » 18. January 2007 14:59

Hi guys,

Newly arrived and glad to be here.

When I run a DESCRIBE on a newly created tables, this is what I get:

ERROR 1 (HY000): Can't create/write to file '/root/tmp/#sql_1408_0.MYI' (Errcode: 13)

What's causing this? I can see "MYI" at the end of the message, and I have "innodb" specified in all my SQL tables. Is that causing it?

Bye,
jacques

Postby xnemesis » 19. January 2007 04:31

A quick search on here or google would have offered you information and a solution, but I'll give you one.
The reason, there is no temporary directory specified or an invalid one is specified. The most likely reason, one wasn't specified and it's attempting to use /root/tmp which it won't have permissions for and you don't want it in there anyway.
The solution Open up my.cnf. locate the lines that will read something like the following:

# Point the following paths to different dedicated disks
#tmpdir = /tmp/

uncomment tmpdir and set it to "/tmp/". Start MySQL via ./lampp and that should solve your error
xnemesis

Postby jacques » 24. January 2007 18:00

xnemesis wrote:A quick search on here or google would have offered you information and a solution, but I'll give you one.

How grand of you, perhaps you could direct me to this resource that apparently is so incredibly easy to find, and the incredibly obvious searchterm(s) you used to get there? When I'm busy, and I have to spend 25-30 min. or more here, and on google, searching on the actual errormessage (which i did) without any usable results, I ask.

Next time, just post the link to the deadeasy-to-find solution, or don't answer at all, so you don't waste your precious time on "Internet newbies" like me :roll:
jacques

Return to XAMPP for Linux