core question about user management with mod_auth_mysql

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

core question about user management with mod_auth_mysql

Postby teres » 05. January 2007 08:14

Dear all,

I'm new to the mod_auth_mysql as I'm still asking question in another thread about working with mod_auth_mysql with md5.

If I need to manage a few hundred user, is using group is the best way to manage their access to a particular web directory? Do the folder access control have some kinds of inheritance? Is it better to put in the httpd.conf for general access control and specific control with .htaccess?

Best regards,
Teres
teres

NEED HELP: User management with Apache and MySQL

Postby teres » 08. January 2007 04:35

Dear all,

In my project, I'll use MySQL to store user information. I've successfully test the mod_auth_mysql for user authentication with .htaccess. I've some question got stuck a few days already. PLEASE HELP if you can!

1. In my project, user will upload picture and zip client file to server by form and PHP. Will it be the best way to create user directory and .htaccess file when new user come?

2. Do apache support disk quota internally as I installed the xampp in Microsoft window server 2003? I can't the information from Apache documentation and Google search. If not, can I integrate the user management on window server 2003 with apache? How can I do that and any good reference? E.g. the php page on server need to check the disk usage of a user to avoid wasting time if limit already reached.

THANKS in advanced!

Best regards,
Teres
teres

Postby Wiedmann » 08. January 2007 05:39

1. In my project, user will upload picture and zip client file to server by form and PHP. Will it be the best way to create user directory and .htaccess file when new user come?

Difficult to say something, without knowledge about the whole concept.
- What happens with the uploaded files?
- The only action users can done is uploading files?

But i think you can manage your users and privileges with PHP/MySQL (without ".htaccess").

(BTW: There are ready scripts for filesharing websites with user management. )

Do apache support disk quota internally

No.

can I integrate the user management on window server 2003 with apache?

No.

the php page on server need to check the disk usage of a user to avoid wasting time if limit already reached.

That's possible.

BTW:
Why did you use an Apache webserver and not the webserver from Windows (eg. Microsoft Server 2003 Web Edition) if you have such requirements? (and of course, you have paid already for that server...)
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby teres » 09. January 2007 01:54

Wiedmann wrote:

Difficult to say something, without knowledge about the whole concept.
- What happens with the uploaded files?
- The only action users can done is uploading files?

Yup, actually the front end is flash and users most likely just upload files. The flash will operate with PHP to those files through xml. Operation includes converting and resizing picture to png thumnail and a normal jpeg image, converting movie file like 3gp, mov, wmv to flv, deleting the temp files, etc. Actually, it's an education project. These files relate to assignment, thus only student himself can access. So I consider dynamically create user account and .htaccess by PHP.

Wiedmann wrote:But i think you can manage your users and privileges with PHP/MySQL (without ".htaccess").

I wonder in PHP I need to secure each individual file in a directory while .htaccess can done for the whole subdirectory.

Wiedmann wrote:(BTW: There are ready scripts for filesharing websites with user management. )

Will you be so kind to list some reference?

Wiedmann wrote:BTW:
Why did you use an Apache webserver and not the webserver from Windows (eg. Microsoft Server 2003 Web Edition) if you have such requirements? (and of course, you have paid already for that server...)

This project will be deliver to Secondary Schools. Budget will be a concern to them.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Teres
teres

Return to XAMPP for Windows