developed on windows but server on linux

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

developed on windows but server on linux

Postby vicky » 04. January 2007 13:53

hi! I have to develop an application using php and mysql and so I downloaded xampp to use. My question has to do with the fact that my pc is working on a windows environment but the application will be working from my company's server which is on linux (freebsd). Could this cause any problems? Will installing xampp on linux may cause false settings for my pages and database? Help please! :? :? :?
vicky

Postby Izzy » 04. January 2007 23:05

vicky wrote:hi! I have to develop an application using php and mysql and so I downloaded xampp to use. My question has to do with the fact that my pc is working on a windows environment but the application will be working from my company's server which is on linux (freebsd). Could this cause any problems? Will installing xampp on linux may cause false settings for my pages and database?

If you develop your applications using XAMPP on Windows and your applications and databases work without issues then your uploaded applications to a Linux server should also work. You would, of course, have to change the paths as the path structures are different and the carriage return line feed combinations often course issues.

Both use Apache, MySQL and PHP so your main concerns will be those mentioned above with the addition of version issues with MySQL and PHP. Neither have favourable backward compatibility which means if you develop using a higher versions on XAMPP for Windows then you may have issues if you use a lower version on FreeBSD.
If you use XAMPP on Windows and XAMPP on FreeBSD (I think the XAMPP developers have come up with a FreeBSD version now) then the versions may not be an issue.

If your are new to all this then may I suggest you do some reading about the differences mentioned above - perhaps using Google searches.

You can of course just start your development exercise on the Windows XAMPP platform, keeping in mind when you upload to your Linux server that you need to check and change the paths, then see what errors, if any, show up and fix them or ask for help on specific errors. The subject is too wide to be specific at this juncture.

Others on this forum or in the Linux forum may be able to help with issues that arise or even be able to give more specific advise, only time will tell.
In the mean time getting on with it and seeing for yourself what the issues might be is a useful learning experience.

Good luck with it.
Izzy

Postby vicky » 05. January 2007 09:39

many thanx! at least I know now that I'm not trying to do sth "invalid".
vicky

Return to XAMPP for Windows