Upgrade/Update 1.5.4 to 1.5.5

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Upgrade/Update 1.5.4 to 1.5.5

Postby Sean-Michael » 01. January 2007 03:27

Can I just use the Upgrade Package 1.5.5?

Thanks in advance for feed back! :D
Sean-Michael

Postby Sean-Michael » 01. January 2007 03:31

I'm asking because I'm not sure if I would be missing any files. Till then I'll be backing up my xampp directory :wink:
Sean-Michael

Postby Izzy » 01. January 2007 03:33

Yes, if I read the upgrade correctly Version 1.5.4(+a), you can use the same 1.5.5 ugrade for Version 1.5.4 and 1.5.4a.

IMHO, backup is standard practice before making any changes.

I use the *zip versions so I can check the contents of any upgrade or indeed any new installation before implementing them.
Izzy

Postby Sean-Michael » 01. January 2007 04:03

Yea I've been using the 7zip that I now see labeled "xampp-win32-upgrade-1.5.4-1.5.5" after down loading :roll: and backup my stuff as well, just deleted my older backup :wink:

Thank you again Izzy for your helpful information!
Sean-Michael

Postby Izzy » 01. January 2007 04:07

Thats good all is fine with your upgrade. :)
Did you download and install the 7Zip program?
If you have the program you can open and check the archive and manually extract the files to a directory of choice if the self extracting process leaves you with no control. ;)

A quick and nasty backup method I use is just to Ctrl/drag the xampp directory to make a copy of xampp.
Then if the ugrade is ok I delete the copy of xampp.
If I have to revert then I delete the errant xampp and rename the copy of xampp back to xampp.

Just to add, as a general rule, upgrades usually only replace by over-writing core files and by adding files if need be. It does not delete files or add or change any configuration files.
If the contents of an upgrade are checked it will be seen that no configuration files are included in the archive.

When core files have to be deleted and configuration files upgraded/changed there is no upgrade just a new version install.
IIRC, the version 1.5.4 was one of those non upgradeable version releases.
Last edited by Izzy on 01. January 2007 04:19, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby Sean-Michael » 01. January 2007 04:17

Wow, it would seem as if you have answered another one of my questions that has been bouncing around in my head, what if a config file needs to be upgraded... I am under the understanding now that when a release that needs those changes comes there will be no upgrade packages and we/I will need to make a fresh install.

Thanks, and it would seem the upgrade has gone fine. :wink:
Sean-Michael

Postby Izzy » 01. January 2007 04:27

When you are required to a do a new version install where the config files are changed, there is something you need to watch out for.

Don't replace the config files with your previous version config files (over-writing or copy and pasting over).
You need to open the new version config files and edit them to reflect your old settings.

The reason for this is that the structure and content of the new config files may have changed and using your older version files (over-writing) might cause some worrying issues.

Just a heads up on this one point.
Izzy

Postby Sean-Michael » 01. January 2007 04:32

I forgot to add that yes I used the 7zip, with my machine I can point the extraction to a temp file and see whats there.
Sean-Michael

Postby Izzy » 01. January 2007 04:36

Sean-Michael wrote:I forgot to add that yes I used the 7zip, with my machine I can point the extraction to a temp file and see whats there.

If you right click on a 7Zip archive you should see a context menu that contains a sub context menu for 7Zip>

You will find some useful commands including Open archive which opens the 7Zip File Manager with the exe files contents.

Saves having to extraxt to a temp folder for content checking. :)
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows