DNS Host question?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

DNS Host question?

Postby KingNoob » 12. December 2006 15:29

Hey,

May I ask? If I need to create a DNS zone file on any free DNS hosting, do I need to register on a registar or just go to the DNS hosting area, and create my records?

Please respond, because I am very confused. :(
KingNoob

Re: DNS Host question?

Postby Izzy » 12. December 2006 17:45

KingNoob wrote:Hey,

May I ask? If I need to create a DNS zone file on any free DNS hosting, do I need to register on a registar or just go to the DNS hosting area, and create my records?

Please respond, because I am very confused. :(

You don't need a domain name zone file if you are only using a numbered IP.
The Internet will find your home based web server by typing in your IP only - for example http://123.123.123.123 will find your server if it is running.

If you wanted to use a domain name or a subdomain name then you have to tie your IP to that domain name or subdomain name and let the Internet know that your IP is now using a domain name or sub domain name to access your web server.

You would register a domain name with a domain name registrar if you wanted your very own domain name - for example kingnoob.com

Then you would have a domain name service manage your DNS zone file for kingnoob.com so your domain name tied to your IP can be accessed from around the Internet by typing http://kingnoob.com in a browser.

Normally this would be done on your own server with bind (Berkeley Internet Name Daemon) if you had it installed (use Google for more info on bind).
Most shared hosting servers, VPS and dedicated servers run their own DNS using bind.
Most home PC based web servers use a free DNS service like zoneedit.com, freedns.afraid.org and noip.com to manage the DNS zone file for them.

If you don't want your own domain name then most of the free DNS services (except for zoneedit.com I believe) have free sub domains that you can use instead.
FreeDNS for example have a large list of domain names you can select from and add your own subdomain to - for example afraid.org is a main domain from that list that you can add your sub domain to like kingnoob so it would become kingnoob.afraid.org and remember that domain names and subdomain names should always be lowercase.

They then manage the DNS zone file for that subdomain kingnoob.afraid.org for you.
Using their web site's control panel you insert the IP address of your home server.
So when you type http://kingnoob.afraid.org in a browser the Internet knows, using a series of regularly automatically updated DNS caches, to send those requests to your home PC's web server.
http://freedns.afraid.org/ has a good explanation on their home page why to use their service.

I hope this post has helped to alleviate some of the confusion for you.
Izzy

Thanks for helping, but that does not answer most of my qns.

Postby KingNoob » 13. December 2006 05:51

Hey Izzy,

Thanks for helping me in my confusion, but that does not really help me in most of my confusion. Anyway, I wanted to ask, is if

I am using a home-based web server, and If i want to use the home-based server to recieve (listen) to any connections in the internet, and if I can just directly use the zone file to create my domain without registering the domain name with any registrars?

This is the question I wanted to ask, what was I thinking before? :oops: Sorry Izzy for troubling you.

Thanks for helping!

I am very sorry to trouble you :(
KingNoob

Re: Thanks for helping, but that does not answer most of my

Postby Izzy » 13. December 2006 07:02

KingNoob wrote:...I am using a home-based web server, and If i want to use the home-based server to recieve (listen) to any connections in the internet, and if I can just directly use the zone file to create my domain without registering the domain name with any registrars?...
Not that I am aware of.
I did explain the Internet DNS structure above and how it resolves domain names to your IP.

Cutting out the domain name registrar part is not possible because of the name servers ns1.* and ns2.* etc. that the registrar must have to complete the request cycle.

An example in reverse is if your domain name registration expires (because you did not keep up the payments) then even though you have not deleted the Zone file, your domain name will end up in a black hole at worst or on an expired domain names page at your registrar at best. It will not end up going to your web server of that you can be sure.
Izzy

I have checked with my DNS hosting service...

Postby KingNoob » 13. December 2006 08:51

Hey Izzy,

I have viewed the service list, and they said that they had 2 name servers. And the URLs matched the name servers listed on the site.

The DNS service is: http://www.everydns.net/ or here.

Thanks for helping, I am really grateful for the replies you've gave me.
KingNoob

oh ok I got it

Postby KingNoob » 13. December 2006 08:53

Thanks! After visiting the site, I finally found out that I need my record on the WHOIS database before the records can be resolved properly.

THanks man! :D :D :D
KingNoob

Postby pccsq1 » 28. March 2007 01:49

Hi All,

I have been having problems with my DNS setup after I opted out of using a hosted DNS server and setup mine as I had got some staic IP addresses from my service provider.

I use Posadis DNS Server to host DNS on my server but for some reason, my domain does not resolve to my server but my nameservers i.e ns1.mydomain.com works fine.

I don't know what is wrong or if I am doing something incorrectly. Any help from those with DNS and SOA record knowledge will be greatly appreciated. My domain zone file setup and format is as follows:

Code: Select all
;
; DNS master file generated by Posadis mfedit
;

$origin mydomain.com.

@                  2h      SOA     ns1 info@mydomain.com 2007032100 2h 1h 2d 2h
@                  2h      MX      10 mail
@                  2h      NS      ns1.mydomain.com.
@                  2h      NS      ns2.mydomain.com.
*                  2h      CNAME   www
ftp                2h      A       217.45.133.41
mail              2h      A       217.45.133.41
ns1               2h      A       217.45.133.41
ns2               2h      A       217.45.133.45
www             2h      A       217.45.133.41

I contacted my domain registrar and they said my domain is not resolving because of a problem with my SOA record and of course they did not provide me with any help as to how to setup DNS correctly.

I have been trying to get this fixed for over a week now but no cigar! Any ideas anyone? Please help, my websites are all down.

Many thanks ...
pccsq1

Postby meows » 29. March 2007 02:14

meows

Return to XAMPP for Windows