Apache service hangs on startup - DocumentRoot

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache service hangs on startup - DocumentRoot

Postby cookiez » 30. November 2006 18:16

I have changed the DocumentRoot and Directory directives to "O:/www".
O: drive is mapped to a network share.

When I try to start Apache (installed as a service) from XAMPP CP/command line it hangs all the time with the following.
Running as a normal application (removed from services) it works with the changed DocumentRoot.

szAppName : apache.exe szAppVer : 2.2.3.0 szModName : msvcr71.dll
szModVer : 7.10.3052.4 offset : 000017fb

Any help would be appreciated.

Cookiez
cookiez

Re: Apache service hangs on startup - DocumentRoot

Postby cookiez » 30. November 2006 23:10

cookiez wrote:I have changed the DocumentRoot and Directory directives to "O:/www".
O: drive is mapped to a network share.

When I try to start Apache (installed as a service) from XAMPP CP/command line it hangs all the time with the following.
Running as a normal application (removed from services) it works with the changed DocumentRoot.

szAppName : apache.exe szAppVer : 2.2.3.0 szModName : msvcr71.dll
szModVer : 7.10.3052.4 offset : 000017fb

Any help would be appreciated.

Cookiez

I tried using UNC format in DocumentRoot, Directory directives.
I changed the service to Run as a valid account who has effective rights on that directory.

Same things happen.

Help!!!
cookiez

Postby Izzy » 01. December 2006 00:18

You could try this:
Close all XAMPP services and make sure they have uninstalled as a service by checking with the Task Manager that there are no instances of any XAMPP components running.

Try now and return all you config changes back to the defaults from the backups you made before making those changes except for the paths you set.

When you are satisfied that none of the XAMPP services are running execute xampp\xampp-portcheck.exe and make sure that all ports are Free

If all ports are free you can now try and start apache using the xampp\apache_start.bat and paste here if you get any error messages.

Also worth noting here is did you follow the installation instruction relating to running the xampp\setup_xampp.bat if your installation was not in the default location? This would set the paths for you and all you would need to do is check that the paths were indeed correctly changed by the bat file in your conf files.

Sometimes when things have messed up on your first installation attempt it is worth uninstalling and deleting completely the XAMPP directory and then rebooting and installing again and follow the instructions once more and see if this approach works. Better doing this at the start before you have added too many custom additions and changes.
Izzy

Postby cookiez » 01. December 2006 09:03

I have uninstalled xampp-1.5.5.
After restart I reinstalled xampp.

Service Port Status
==================================
Apache (HTTP) 80 free
Apache (WebDAV) 81 free
Apache (HTTPS) 443 free
MySQL 3306 free
FileZilla (FTP) 21 free
FileZilla (Admin) 14147 free
Mercury (SMTP) 25 free
Mercury (POP3) 110 free
Mercury (IMAP) 143 free

xampp_start - apache/mysqld services are running
xampp_stop

Changing DocumentRoot and add a <Directory newlocation> directive to httpd.conf.

apache -t - Syntax OK
xampp_start - apache/mysqld services are running ;-)))

Trying to run Apache as a Service. Hangs with msvcr71.dll ;-(((
cookiez

Postby cookiez » 03. December 2006 19:36

On page http://hu2.php.net/manual/en/install.wi ... ilding.php I have found the following:

http://hu2.php.net/manual/en/install.wi ... .php#49388
Compiling using Visual Studio .NET will create binaries dependent of msvcp71.dll which has three repercussions:
1. This dll will need to be distributed.
2. The binaries are not currently compatible with the Zend optimiser (not sure why it should make a difference but it does).
3. Binaries are larger!
cookiez

Return to XAMPP for Windows