Horizontal image loading?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Horizontal image loading?

Postby Sean-Michael » 29. November 2006 20:11

I was wondering if anyone knew how to set images to load in the horizontal direction, like the images load for http://www.deviantart.com/ , I'm not sure if this is a server or php setting. Who knows maybe my server does this and I don't see it because there's very little wait for images to load.

Thanks in advance for help,
Sean-Michael

Re: Horizontal image loading?

Postby Izzy » 29. November 2006 22:30

Sean-Michael wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew how to set images to load in the horizontal direction, like the images load for http://www.deviantart.com/ , I'm not sure if this is a server or php setting. Who knows maybe my server does this and I don't see it because there's very little wait for images to load.

Thanks in advance for help,

Check the source code of the page in question by right clicking in the page and selecting 'view source' or similar depending on the browser you use.

You will see the html tags 'div', 'table', and 'span' which they are using to display their images on the page. Also they are using Javascript and the CSS 'class' tags contained in 555.css file, to great effect. All this is revealed in the source code. Nothing server or php special there just knowledgable use of a combination of the above code structures.
Izzy

Postby Sean-Michael » 29. November 2006 23:22

Thank you Izzy, I was also pointed in the direction of "JPEG progressive" and "GIF interlacing" to achieve this result, I'm off now to see how to do it with gimp.
Sean-Michael

Postby Sean-Michael » 29. November 2006 23:55

Yea using the gimp when I save as .jpeg I need to specify the progressive option, but to actually see the effect I need to stick a 2mb image into the mix lol
Sean-Michael

Postby Izzy » 30. November 2006 01:04

Sean-Michael wrote:Yea using the gimp when I save as .jpeg I need to specify the progressive option, but to actually see the effect I need to stick a 2mb image into the mix lol

Using progressive image loading was not intended for broadband usage but for those unfortunates who are still on low bandwidth dial-up connections.

It was a method devised to at least see some of the image whilst it was being downloaded by the browser into it's cache instead of a blank image place holder.

All quality image editors will allow a progressive or interlaced image to be specified on either 'save as' or 'export image as' menu item.

This dial-up consideration should always be considered when developing web sites as the percentage of users on dial-up is still higher than those on broadband.
In other words keep images as low as possible in resolution and preferably no larger than say 50k.
If an image takes too long to load, site visitors will be long gone to somewhere else.
What loads fast on a broadband connection will no doubt be very slow or even stall on a dial-up connection.
Thats the nature of things on the web.

Most of the quality image editors have a 'save for web' feature which will usually lower the image resolution to an acceptable level for all vistors to ones web pages.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows