running perl with xampp - error 404

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

running perl with xampp - error 404

Postby warrerj » 14. November 2006 21:19

I've just installed xampp and the perl add-on to do some work for a Uni assignment.

Can somebody tell me where I need to put the perl files and how I run them ? I was hold jst to pt them htdocs and they would run but they don't.
All I get is :

Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404
localhost
11/14/06 22:05:47
Apache/2.2.3 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8d mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.1.6 mod_perl/2.0.2 Perl/v5.8.8

I've checked all the forums and help pages I can find and I seem to have everything in the right place but it's still not working. I can't get the index.html to open either I get the same message. The apache error log says "File does not exist" but it's there when I browse to it.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks
Last edited by warrerj on 14. November 2006 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
warrerj

Re: running perl with xampp

Postby akc » 14. November 2006 23:11

If your Perl files are the typical .pl, you can run them just about anywhere (and without XAMPP), provided Windows knows where your Perl.exe is. If you Perl is running as CGI (usually .cgi), you can still put them anywhere. What I usually do is tell Apache to create virtual hosts for convenience, e.g.:

<VirtualHost mysite.local>
ServerName mysite.local
ServerAlias mysite.local
DocumentRoot "c:\xampp\htdocs\mysite"
</VirtualHost>

Then you can do http://mysite.local/. I think you also need to let Windows' hosts file know about this, i.e. add (for example) "127.0.0.1 mysite.local".
akc

Postby warrerj » 14. November 2006 23:25

The files are .pl.

Sorry new to this and don't understand the vitual host thing. I was jst told to install xampp and run things there. I've read loads of forums on the problem I have but still nothing. All I get is the Error 404 object not found. :x
warrerj

Postby warrerj » 15. November 2006 00:57

Sorted !!

Just me being VERY STUPID :oops:

I was sing the wrong url !! :oops: :oops: :oops:
warrerj

Return to XAMPP for Windows