Using SMTP mail w/ Xampp PHPNuke

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Using SMTP mail w/ Xampp PHPNuke

Postby kindpeacho » 24. October 2006 17:33

I am so confused over this and have read countless articles and posts trying to find an answer to what should be an easy question;
How Can I use an external SMTP server to send my mail?

I am running a PHPnuke site from a Local Server I have remote access to (someone else set it up). I read and installed XAMPP just fine (great product btw) and website works great - all except Mail.

Honestly i'm somewhat a noob (with localhosts, i've set up many phpnuke sites using webhosting companies) so i didn't even want to begin learning how to set up local mail on a local machine that is not in my possession. So... after reading article after article I came to the conclusion to simply use an outside SMTP server (Gmail or similar).

Read the instructions - in my phpbb i changed the settings to use outside SMTP - set up smtp.gmail.com, username, pw, etc. Tried to assign both ports Gmail suggests (465 or 587) and still no emails being sent out.

*sigh*

Weeks later - further reading - I go change my PHP.INI in the PHP folder (inside xampp) and set up for a windows server (windows server 2003 i think is what is installed):

Code: Select all
[mail function]
[mail function]
; Setup for Windows systems
SMTP = smtp.gmail.com
sendmail_from = me@gmail.com

Still no emails being sent out thru PHPNuke.

I have hit dozens of PHPnuke sites asking for help with this as well, but everyone keeps sending me posts in circles and/or the solution does not fix my problem.

In Laymens Terms could someone explain how to take a Windows 2003 server (localhost) with Xampp installed and running properly along with PHPNuke how to set up an EXternal mail using SMTP? Preferably i'd like to use GMail, but it's not necessary).

I hope I explained things okay - but i'm sure i'll need to answer questions first

Thanks so much for any help!!

- A Disgruntled Peachy
kindpeacho

Re: Using SMTP mail w/ Xampp PHPNuke

Postby Izzy » 24. October 2006 22:56

Members should be very cautious about using unofficial third party help sites and should use the XAMPP help files and facilities available from the official ApacheFriends web site.

This thread has been hijacked for obviously devious reasons.
Last edited by Izzy on 25. October 2006 05:41, edited 2 times in total.
Izzy

Postby kindpeacho » 24. October 2006 23:15

Hello Izzy -

thank you for that quick reply.

I should have added that I already tried that one as well. I actually did a search of all php.ini's and changed them all just incase :oops:

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = smtp.gmail.com
smtp_port = 465

; For Win32 only.
;sendmail_from = MYNAME@gmail.com
sendmail_from =MYNAME@gmail.com

; For Unix only. You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
;sendmail_path = "C:\Program Files\xampp\sendmail\sendmail.exe -t"

I was thinking after I posted this - that I had created a phpnuke site a year or two ago that used an external smtp and all of that worked just fine (but it was not on a localhost). EDITED: I just noticed - even on the other site my email settings are NOT configured in the phpbb and people still receive confirmation emails. grrrr (the site does not use forums, just the other stuff). What can I possibly be missing?!?!

I have already tried to start from scratch, which put this project back a week :x - but even the fresh install didn't take with the mail.

I feel like i am missing something so simple i'm going to have bang my head against the keyboard when the solution is found :wink:
kindpeacho

Postby Izzy » 24. October 2006 23:34

Members should be very cautious about using unofficial third party help sites and should use the XAMPP help files and facilities available from the official ApacheFriends web site.

This thread has been hijacked for obviously devious reasons.
Last edited by Izzy on 25. October 2006 05:42, edited 2 times in total.
Izzy

Postby WorldDrknss » 25. October 2006 02:34

Izzy wrote:If you use php then you can't use an email service that requires authentication to send and you can't configure phpnuke to use smtp.

You can use php to send mail with an email service that required authentication. That is where sendmail.exe will comes in. XAMPP\SendMail\Sendmail.exe, in order to use sendmail you will need to configure php.ini and sendmail.ini

PHPNuke uses SMTP, you will need to configure SMTP under PHPBB admin panel. General Admin -> Configuration -> Email Settings

GMail does require an SSL connection like Izzy has already mentioned. You might want to check out Stunnel to create that SSL connection. I know that Stunnel is commonly used with HMailServer for users who use GMail, but I am sure it would work in your case.
http://wdguides.org - XAMPP Tutorials & MORE!!!!
WorldDrknss

Postby kindpeacho » 25. October 2006 13:40

Izzy had wrote that members should be cautious and this thread has been hijacked -- what does that mean?

I did not give any personal info that would make me vulnerable did I??

WHere did Izzy's posts go??
kindpeacho

Postby WorldDrknss » 25. October 2006 19:46

Check this post: http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?t=20981 it will explain how to setup sendmail, and mercurymail, to allow you to use PHP over SMTP on PhpNuke.
http://wdguides.org - XAMPP Tutorials & MORE!!!!
WorldDrknss

Return to XAMPP for Windows