XAMPP Develoment or production

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP Develoment or production

Postby JerryS » 22. October 2006 20:08

Is XAMPP for develoment or for prodction?

Can it bee used for production?

Thanks
JerryS

Re: XAMPP Develoment or production

Postby Izzy » 22. October 2006 23:44

JerryS wrote:Is XAMPP for develoment or for prodction?

Can it bee used for production?

Thanks

In it's default state it is insecure to use for production.

However after completing some security issues outlined in the link below it can be used in a production environment with the proviso that any server hardened or not is vulnerable to some knowledgable hackers using various flavours of scripts, for example php and perl, but is not limited to those.

This does not only apply to XAMPP but also applies to commercial servers using *nix or Microsoft based software.

It is a fact of life that once one hole is plugged another one opens up. You just have to keep a close eye out in your log files for anything that might indicate either a compromise or attempts at compromising your server. Keep your server and served applications and scripts up to date by using the latest versions availble etc.

This is all part of being a competent server administrator which is not as easy as first thought.

There is a plethora of information on the Internet about this subject and using your favourite search engine will reveal much useful reading.

This from the XAMPP for Windows page at the Apachefriends web site:
A matter of security (A MUST READ!)

The XAMPP Security console

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#1221

There are many XAMPP installations being used successfully in a production environment by competent and knowledgable admins.
Izzy

Postby JerryS » 24. October 2006 18:24

Thank you for the response. I have been toying with the idea of hosting my own site but it is looking like it is easier to pay some one until I get the info that I need. (yea I thought is was going to be easy)

Thanks
JerryS

Return to XAMPP for Windows