Viewing ASP pages locally

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Viewing ASP pages locally

Postby Imagine3 » 14. October 2006 18:45

I have xampp running on my computer and it works well with PHP and everything else I need except ASP. I had to create my companies website in ASP becasue for some reason their stupid servers don't support PHP (I know, thas crap). Anyway, I am using Dreamweaver to create the page and I can view everything perfectly while in Dreamweaver, but when I go to view them in IE or Firefox, I can't view it.

In IE, it will simply open it in Dreamweaver and in Firefox it will ask me if I want to download the file. Is there anyway I can view these ASP files locally without having to upload them to our webserver (not located at our company) and then opening them? The main reason for this is because I am often on my laptop makeing changes to the site and away from an internet connection. I would like to make the changes, view them to make sure they are loading/looking correct and then when I get near an internet connection, upload them.

This would be so much easier if the server supporter PHP. Please help.
Imagine3

Postby Wiedmann » 14. October 2006 19:14

Which script language have you used for your ASP files?
- If VBScript, then you must use the IIS webserver.
- If PerlScript, you can install the Perl AddOn with Apache::ASP.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Imagine3 » 14. October 2006 19:38

to tell you the truth, Im not really sure. The only thing I am using the ASP functionality for is to include pages within another page.

<!--#include file="nav.inc" -->

I am not able to run IIS because I have a Windows XP Home laptop.
I installled the plugin, moved all the site files into C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\modperlasp\ as i believe I am supposed to.

Any idea?
Imagine3

Postby Wiedmann » 14. October 2006 20:04

Code: Select all
<!--#include file="nav.inc" -->

That's SSI and not ASP.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Imagine3 » 14. October 2006 20:11

ok server side includes, but that is the way you would accomplish included pages inside an ASP page right? because it does work when they are uploaded.

That is the only reason I am using .asp for the file extension on the pages. Is there a way to accomplish this in normal html/xhtml? but I still want to be able to render the page in a browser (IE and Firefox) without an internet connection (I huge advantage of xampp)

Thank for the help.
Imagine3

Postby Wiedmann » 14. October 2006 20:30

Hmmm, IMHO the extension for SSI files in XAMPP is ".shtml" (and not ".asp").
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Imagine3 » 14. October 2006 20:36

well i was told that i need to do the site in ASP and that they wanted the site to have the SSI functionality of being able to modify 1 page and having it control multuiple pages because it is easy to update menu/navigation layouts. I could do this easily in PHP, but since I didn't know ASP, i went onto a forum and asked how to do it. I was told to just do it that way.

Is there any way to view shtml/SSI locally without having to upload a page to a server?
Imagine3

Return to XAMPP for Windows