Need GUIDE FOR --- Unblock PORT 80

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Need GUIDE FOR --- Unblock PORT 80

Postby Meivisssi » 28. September 2006 23:03

Hello,

I need help for solving this message " XAMPP 1.5.4 setup apache port 80 is BLOCKED! Installed Apache Service Failed."

I had followed some instructions posted here in Apache Forum to unblock the port 80. I have tried the following Instruction:

I went to control panel --- Security Center -- Windows Firewall -- Exceptions tab -- add port -- XamppTraffic port 8080

and then edit the file --- apache\conf\httpd.conf

Listen 80 ---- to Listen 8080

but still my Apache is not Running?

DO I need to change -----
ServerName localhost:80 --- to ServerName localhost:8080 ?

The mySQL and FileZIlla is working fine I think.
Meivisssi

Re: Need GUIDE FOR --- Unblock PORT 80

Postby Izzy » 28. September 2006 23:57

Meivisssi wrote:...DO I need to change -----
ServerName localhost:80 --- to ServerName localhost:8080 ?

The mySQL and FileZIlla is working fine I think.

Yes.
Then save the file and always restart Apache after making changes in .conf files and always backup .conf files before editing.

In your above process why not make an exception for port 80 then you won't have to change anything in the httpd.conf file?
Izzy

Postby Meivisssi » 29. September 2006 03:14

in your above process why not make an exception for port 80 then you won't have to change anything in the httpd.conf file?

Izzy.

How to make an exception for port 80? Can you please teach me?

Thank you for letting me know I have to change the server name too
Meivisssi

Postby Izzy » 29. September 2006 03:24

Meivisssi wrote:... How to make an exception for port 80? Can you please teach me?
I know nothing about Windows Firewall as I prefer to have my PC truly protected and therefore I don't use it at all.

You seem to know how to exempt port 8080 because you told me so.
I went to control panel --- Security Center -- Windows Firewall -- Exceptions tab -- add port -- XamppTraffic port 8080

I can only assume it would be the same trick for port 80 or indeed any other port you want to exclude from this mindless piece of crapware from Microsoft.
Izzy

Postby Wiedmann » 29. September 2006 03:53

Meivisssi wrote:Installed Apache Service Failed

1st: You must not install the service to use Apache.

Meivisssi wrote:apache port 80 is BLOCKED!

(and maybe port 443 too)

2nd: You must not change anything in a config file...

Use the "xampp-portcheck.exe" and look which service/program is currently using the Apache ports. Disable (or stop) this software (maybe it's IIS or Skype). Now you can install the Apache services with the batchfile "apache_installservice.bat" or with the XAMPP Control Panel.

3rd: It's not a firewall issue.
BTW: You must only make a exception in your firewall, if you want access your Apache from another pc or over the internet.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Izzy » 29. September 2006 04:33

Of course to test to see if it is your firewall or not you can disable it temporarily and try your XAMPP install again.

If you get the same result of a blocked port 80 then it is not your Firewall and you should then enable it again.

Then, if you can follow the Riddler's post above, you can do as it suggests.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows