Xampp with MySQL GUI Tools

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp with MySQL GUI Tools

Postby cabbage » 21. September 2006 22:07

Having problems getting MySQL Gui Tools to work with Xampp and would appreciate any help or pointers you guys could give (I'm new to linux)

Xampp is installed and fully working. Mysql going like a dream, but I really miss the gui tools so I have installed them. When I try to use SQL Administrator I get the following error:

Could not connect to host 'localhost'.
MySQL Error Nr. 2002
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

On further investigation, there is no such directory. It seems that Xampp installs MySQL to a "custom" directory and hence the socket is not at the location where the Gui Tools are looking for it. Xampp installed mysql.sock at opt/lampp/var/mysql/ on this machine (SUSE 10.0).

Is there any simple fix to this?
cabbage

Postby Izzy » 22. September 2006 12:00

Have you tried using a symlink to the XAMPP mysql.sock in the directory that your administrator looks for the mysql.sock?
Izzy

Postby cabbage » 24. September 2006 00:32

Have tried various flavours of symlinking (from google) but none seem to work. Every time I try it I get the message "File does not exist". Seems funny since Im staring at the file right now. As I said, I'm new to linux lol.

Thanks for the pointer anyway. I've given up. Going back to windoze and IIS
cabbage

Return to XAMPP for Linux