GoDaddy?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

GoDaddy?

Postby Newb:) » 13. September 2006 03:40

I have purchased a domain name with GoDaddy.com and was in the process of changing the information to point to my computer instead of the current host, but I get confused, do I edit the "Set Name Servers" section where the current "Name Server 1" and "Name Server 2" "Name Server 3" are? And do I add my IP?

Also, if I am correct above could I list it like...

Name Server 1: xx.xxx.xx.xx

Name Server 2: http://webpages.somewhere.net/myspace/

so that #2 points to a page where the viewer would be directed if my computer is turned of and I could have a nice message saying when it'll be online?

Thank you in advance for any help!
Newb:)

Re: GoDaddy?

Postby Izzy » 13. September 2006 03:59

Newb:) wrote:I have purchased a domain name with GoDaddy.com and was in the process of changing the information to point to my computer instead of the current host, but I get confused, do I edit the "Set Name Servers" section where the current "Name Server 1" and "Name Server 2" "Name Server 3" are? And do I add my IP?

Also, if I am correct above could I list it like...

Name Server 1: xx.xxx.xx.xx

Name Server 2: http://webpages.somewhere.net/myspace/

so that #2 points to a page where the viewer would be directed if my computer is turned of and I could have a nice message saying when it'll be online?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Your nameservers ns1, ns2 etc. must point to the DNS servers that hold your domain name Zone file.

I use zoneedit.com which has the first 5 domain names for free. There are other free DNS services like no-ip.com.

You need to set up your domain name at one of these services which will give you the ns1 and ns2 etc. that you can enter in in the Godaddy nameserver section.
These DNS services are the ones that point your domain name to your web site servers on your computer, not GoDaddy. These kind of DNS services are particularly useful if you have a dynamic IP but will of course work for a fixed IP.

There will be a short delay, once you have done your changes at GoDaddy, for those changes to your domain name to propagate on the Interenet. You should also recieve an email from GoDaddy about the changes you made to your domain name.

The DNS service can also forward your domain for the purposes you specify above when you are off line.
Izzy

Postby Newb:) » 13. September 2006 04:38

I went with no-ip.com, is there any guides to do this? I searched but didn't find any?
Newb:)

Postby Izzy » 13. September 2006 04:50

Newb:) wrote:I went with no-ip.com, is there any guides to do this? I searched but didn't find any?
Any guides to what - no-ip?

Zoneedit has help with examples for your domain name on every single configuration page. I have no idea about no-ip.
Izzy

Postby Joe16 » 13. September 2006 04:55

For a simple way to do this, leave the nameservers set to their current setting, and just add a DNS A record to point the domain to your computer IP.
Joe16

Postby Izzy » 13. September 2006 06:58

joe16 wrote:For a simple way to do this, leave the nameservers set to their current setting, and just add a DNS A record to point the domain to your computer IP.

That only applies if you have taken the offer of free hosting with GoDaddy. If your DNS servers are at GoDaddy then of course you would do that.

As I pointed out in my first post:
Your nameservers ns1, ns2 etc. must point to the DNS servers that hold your domain name Zone file.
and this still applies even when you are hosting with GoDaddy.

If you have no hosting account anywhere and therefore have no DNS server you would follow my original post, only substitute your domain name registrar for any reference to GoDaddy.

If the original poster held back the information that he was already hosting a domain name with GD and had his nameservers set for the GD DNS servers, then he received the correct answer he should have, as that is the only and correct way to do what he asked.

It just shows the time wasted by not including all the relevant information when making a request for help on these forums. Also this an XAMPP for Windows Forum not a GoDaddy support desk. Your questions should have been directed at GoDaddy.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows