Ok I set up my forum, now how do people access my site?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Ok I set up my forum, now how do people access my site?

Postby White Monkey » 04. September 2006 23:07

Ok, I have set up my forum using Simple Machines Forums on XAMPP, I have also purchased a domain (www.digital-pod.com), now what link do people need to go on to access my site. Do people have to go on my IP Address or something? Thankyou.

EDIT: What do I need to set up my DNS etc.
White Monkey

Re: Ok I set up my forum, now how do people access my site?

Postby Izzy » 05. September 2006 00:50

White Monkey wrote:Ok, I have set up my forum using Simple Machines Forums on XAMPP, I have also purchased a domain (www.digital-pod.com), now what link do people need to go on to access my site. Do people have to go on my IP Address or something? Thankyou.

EDIT: What do I need to set up my DNS etc.

I remember trying to help you before:
http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?p=82010

Do a forum search for DNS. Your question has been asked and answered many times before.
Izzy

Postby White Monkey » 05. September 2006 15:55

please could someone tell me? EDIT: I searched but all the posts that look like it would help me are in a different language.
White Monkey

Postby Izzy » 05. September 2006 21:59

White Monkey wrote:please could someone tell me? EDIT: I searched but all the posts that look like it would help me are in a different language.

Search Options
Forum: select XAMPP for Windows
Category: select Apache Friends in English

Google is your friend.
Izzy

Postby White Monkey » 08. September 2006 17:13

Ok, I did what I understood when I searched but still I dosnt work, this is what I did. I went into my Godaddy account and went to the DNS bit, as when you sign up with godaddy you get DNS control, so I went into DNS control and added a new A record and put in my IP address, and still I dosnt work. What can i do?
White Monkey

Postby Izzy » 08. September 2006 22:21

White Monkey wrote:Ok, I did what I understood when I searched but still I dosnt work, this is what I did. I went into my Godaddy account and went to the DNS bit, as when you sign up with godaddy you get DNS control, so I went into DNS control and added a new A record and put in my IP address, and still I dosnt work. What can i do?

It's obvious that you still have not set up your DNS correctly or you have not given propagation enough time - up to 48 hrs after edits.

Did you set your nameservers to point to your DNS zone file server?
Is your DNS Zone file configured correctly?

The details you are providing for us to give you a satisfactory resolution to your issue are scimpy and not enough for us to work on.

I have several domains registered with GoDaddy and have never had an issue with them if I entered the correct details in their Control Panel.

If you have problems with GoDaddy then send them a support request. They will help you with your DNS issue much easier than I can from here as it is not really an XAMPP Server configuration problem. You can access http://localhost with no problems?
Izzy

Postby White Monkey » 08. September 2006 22:37

Yes I can get to localhost fine, please could you tell me what to enter in the DNS Control...My IP address, when I type it in goes straight to my login box for my netgear router as I am using a wii connection... any ideas?
White Monkey

Postby Izzy » 08. September 2006 22:50

White Monkey wrote:Yes I can get to localhost fine, please could you tell me what to enter in the DNS Control...My IP address, when I type it in goes straight to my login box for my netgear router as I am using a wii connection... any ideas?

This might help:

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Look for Netgear and select your router. Next select Apache from the list of Applications.

Please read your router's manual or do a Google for your router configuration.
Izzy

Postby White Monkey » 08. September 2006 23:37

Ok I follow the instructions and I get to the service definition point and I put in Apache1
TCP(drop down menu)
port 80
port 80

I then clcik apply and it says, service port number was defined by another service... and I can't get past that step...
White Monkey

Postby thekingofcaseys » 10. September 2006 23:26

Me personally would do things differnetly and wouldnt use name servers if i didnt have to have a look in your domain control panel and see if you have managed DNS if so point your domain to point to your IP makes likfe easier however if you dont have a static Ip you will need to change this evertthing you restart your pc
For One On One Xampp Support Try Me I May Know The Answer PM Or Email Or MSN
thekingofcaseys

Return to XAMPP for Windows