Server not localhost, but on network...

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Server not localhost, but on network...

Postby kulgan » 27. August 2006 17:45

Absolutely amazed. Spent hours trying to set up a LAMP server, tried this, and it worked immediately.

At the time, however, I did not have a network card on the box concerned, so it was for testing only. Well, now I do, and after an amazing uptime of almost six hours, I of course want to set it to be available on the rest of the network. It is all wirelessly routed to the same router - it's a home network... The "server's" IP on the network is 192.168.1.104... is there anything I have to do to get it available to the rest of the network? I only want it on the local network, not the WWW, of course...

Thanks,
K
kulgan

Postby Eldaveer » 03. September 2006 04:37

I have similar issues. I recently set up SUSE 10.1 on an older machine I have. Using XAMPP, I installed Apache, PHP, and MySQL. I then installed Drupal. I can hit Drupal successfully, no problem, by typing localhost into the browser. I can also access Drupal on another computer on my network that has the same type setup, also installed using XAMPP, but that one is running on Windows XP. So far, no problems.

The issue comes when I try to access Drupal on the SUSE machine from the other PC. I can ping the SUSE PC, no problem. But when I type the IP of the SUSE machine into my browser on the Windows PC, it times out.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Thanks!
Eldaveer

Postby kulgan » 06. September 2006 17:26

heh, I solved it ages ago and forgot to post the solution :P

All I did was disable the firewall - in Mepis that's guarddog, and it probably is the same in SuSe if that uses KDE. I have no clue about these things.

so all I did was go into the advanced tab of the firewall, click disable, and it works like hell.

The next step is setting up an FTP account, but that is not top priority now that I have it on the network at all...

About your problem. Am I right in saying that you can access both the servers on themselves but not from the the other? Can you get through to the xp machine from the suse one?

I would say try temporarily disabling the firewalls of both computers, just to see if that has anything to do with it.

K
kulgan

Postby Eldaveer » 07. September 2006 01:38

kulgan wrote:About your problem. Am I right in saying that you can access both the servers on themselves but not from the the other? Can you get through to the xp machine from the suse one?

I can access the XP server from either machine. The SUSE server, however, I can only hit from the SUSE machine.

I've been out of town--just read your post. Thanks for the response. I'll play with it and see if I can find the firewall. Anyone else have any pointers? :)
Eldaveer

Return to XAMPP for Linux