Gone Crazy!!! Brand New Apache with phpmyadmin setup

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Gone Crazy!!! Brand New Apache with phpmyadmin setup

Postby gonjonson » 04. September 2006 16:48

Yes guys and girls it has finally happened. Only after being in the computer field for 25 years and able to comprehend and program anything I have finally found a system of programs with MySql and Apache with phpmyadmin that defies the normal laws of logic.
I have downloaded just last week the full version so I can work with the php websites I'm programming at work. To my surprise I am not able to understand what I do from here. All the faq's and help files and syntax files tell me to do things but not where. Everything appears to have loaded up properly...but when I try to use the setup file for phpmyadmin all I get is the code in my IE browser. I do not have a web of DNS just my stand alone on my desktop running XP. I was able to create the database after not using the syntax in the php files telling me how it should be written from the command line but no tables etc...
So how to I find my server? How do I read php code in IE that's from my files? How do I keep my sanity till the wizard that sets this up is a full blown setup? :shock: :cry: :lol: Don't take this personally, but when my logic is freaked out...well..... Trying not to be too smart...elickly but if we are going to bring this technology to the front then we will have to make the help files way more straight forward and the setup waay easier, because most of the world has work to do that doesn't include hours and hours of setup work. I've setup and migrated 30 SQL servers in less time so I guess we have work to do...
"Be perfect as I am perfect" the command from the master.... (not me you's guy's)
gonjonson

Postby Wiedmann » 04. September 2006 16:59

but when I try to use the setup file for phpmyadmin all I get is the code in my IE browser.

You are doing what?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

RE: What?

Postby gonjonson » 04. September 2006 22:48

Last week I downloaded the full version of xammp with mysql 5 and php5 and phpmyadmin.
My hopes were to create a server on my home computer, stand alone, OS XP to do some developement work for php websites.
I was able to install the components, xammp is working, apache is working, mysql is woking.
My problem starts from the phpmyadmin html instructions.
They tell me to run the setup routine, when I do this windows does not recognize the program and asks for one to open it with.
I point it to my IE browser since it is a php file.
It comes up as the code not the setup routine.
I get more from it in word.
So how do I get my browser to read php from my files? It will read php from the web.
I have created the config file, I have placed a copy of the default config in it.
I have created a virtual site
I have tried all the faq's
Is there a setup routine that I am missing?
"Be perfect as I am perfect" the command from the master.... (not me you's guy's)
gonjonson

Postby Wiedmann » 04. September 2006 23:36

My problem starts from the phpmyadmin html instructions. They tell me to run the setup routine, when I do this windows does not recognize the program and asks for one to open it with.
I have created the config file, I have placed a copy of the default config in it.
I have created a virtual site

Sorry, I don't know what are you doing here...

If you want use phpMyAdmin just open the URI:
http://localhost/phpmyadmin/

--> XAMPP is a ready to use webserver package (with phpMyAdmin) and everything is allready configured for you.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Dave_L » 05. September 2006 00:36

From phpMyAdmin's Documentation.html:

Setup script usage

Since 2.8.0 phpMyAdmin comes with a setup script that can help you with creating configuration. This script is located in scripts folder: scripts/setup.php. ...

I've never used that. Since I've been using phpMyAdmin for a long time, I've gotten used to editing its config file manually (when needed).
Dave_L

still crazy but real tired

Postby gonjonson » 05. September 2006 01:07

Thank you for your reply's.
Please read this twice as I see that my communication skills are not what they should be.

Yes, I have been looking to access phpmyadmin.
Yes, I have used the url http://localhost/phpmyadmin/
All I get is "page not found"

Yes, I tried to use the documentation.html
Yes, I tried to run the scripts/setup script.
All I get is the code on the browser page, it does not run as a website.

Probably I can't get to phpmyadmin because it has not been setup
this is because I can't access the script but have tried to edit the config file without success

Any suggestions?
Thanks again
gonjonson

Postby Wiedmann » 05. September 2006 01:19

Yes, I have been looking to access phpmyadmin.
Yes, I have used the url http://localhost/phpmyadmin/
All I get is "page not found"

You have tried this with a clean and fresh XAMPP installation? If yes, then you have other problems too... (XAMPP is really working?)
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Izzy » 05. September 2006 02:01

Dave_L wrote:From phpMyAdmin's Documentation.html:

Setup script usage

Since 2.8.0 phpMyAdmin comes with a setup script that can help you with creating configuration. This script is located in scripts folder: scripts/setup.php. ...

I've never used that. Since I've been using phpMyAdmin for a long time, I've gotten used to editing its config file manually (when needed).

That method is going to have more questions asked than it is going to answer. ;)
phpmyadmin/setup/setup.php wrote:Welcome
You want to configure phpMyAdmin using web interface. Please note that this only allows basic setup, please read documentation to see full description of all configuration directives.

Please read the Documentaion is the right way to go. The setup.php is not really worth a toss. It seems to introduce needless complexity. For example:
phpmyadmin/setup/setup.php wrote:!Can not load or save configuration
Please create web server writable folder config in phpMyAdmin toplevel directory as described in documentation. Otherwise you will be only able to download or display it.

Try a search for phpMyAdmin in Forum: XAMPP for Windows - Category: Apache Friends in English, as there have been many post on how to configure and setup a databases in phpMyAdmin.

---------------------------------------------------------

gonjonson, my suggestion for you now is to do a clean unistall of XAMPP from the Windows Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs.

Make sure all XAMPP Modules are stopped before uninstalling.
(Note: Ctrl-Alt-Delete will bring up the Task Manager. Select the Processes tab and check that both apache.exe processes, mysqld.exe or mysql-nt.exe, Filezillaserver.exe and mercury.exe are not present. If any one of them are present then you need to Kill the process - Right click on the process and select End Process).

After the uninstall process is finished delete all the previous XAMPP directories if the uninstall process leaves some trash.

Then reboot your PC.

Now do a fresh install of XAMPP using the Windows Installer Version to C:\xampp

Read the xampp\readme_en.txt
(Note: There is no need to run setup-xampp.bat as you have used the Windows Installer. Only needed if you use the Zip installation to a custome directory tree).

As soon as it is installed and you have started the Modules, as explained in the readme_en.txt file, and before you attempt any configurations at all, visit the XAMPP welcome Page:
http://localhost
or
http://127.0.0.1

Make sure all menu items are working including phpMyAdmin.

If you have problems at this stage then you have more issues than the XAMPP install as XAMPP and it's Modules will work "straight out of the box".
Izzy

Sanity Regained!!

Postby gonjonson » 06. September 2006 00:11

Thanks to all of you who helped in my endevor.
After Izzy gave me the instructions on this thread I was able to uninstall and reinstall with great results within 30 minutes.
Perhaps these instructions should preceed the ones on the "official" page?
Thanks again!!
gonjonson

Return to XAMPP for Windows