Installing XAMPP on USB pendrive

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Installing XAMPP on USB pendrive

Postby baretto » 09. July 2006 15:22

hello

I tried to install XAMPP on my USB pendrive but it doesn't works. I get many errors like: Apache is not started, XAMPP want a root and more.

I've copied the dir "lampp" in xampp-linux-1.5.3a.tar.gz to my usb dir: "/mnt/removable/" and launched
"/mnt/removable/lampp/lampp start

What's wrong?
It's possible to install it on removable USB drive?

thanks
baretto

Postby Wiedmann » 09. July 2006 15:34

I've copied the dir "lampp" in xampp-linux-1.5.3a.tar.gz to my usb dir: "/mnt/removable/" and launched
"/mnt/removable/lampp/lampp start

As the installation instruction told you: You must install XAMPP in "/opt" and start it with "/opt/lampp/lampp start".

It's possible to install it on removable USB drive?

Maybe you can use symlinks...
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby baretto » 09. July 2006 16:08

I have not understood.

If I follow the installation instructions, the XAMPP will be installed in /opt/lampp...
Instead I want to have the XAMPP environment on USB and start it from here (my USB pendrive): as can I make this USB installation?
baretto

Postby ac » 10. July 2006 16:26

baretto wrote:I have not understood.

If I follow the installation instructions, the XAMPP will be installed in /opt/lampp...
Instead I want to have the XAMPP environment on USB and start it from here (my USB pendrive): as can I make this USB installation?

This is not possible with xampp!
Xamp must be instaled under /opt/ and cannot run on other directories like /pendrive/opt/
This is because the lampp scripts have hardcoded references to files under /opt/lampp, /opt, etc, ..

The only sugestion I have to allow you run xampp inside a removeable drive, is create a symbolic link into /opt to your lampp on your pendrive. But
ac

Postby MrWilsonUSCG » 04. August 2006 23:00

It is possibel but since I'm not the guy who did our install I am not certain of the process. I know we were using something called Moodle www.moodle.org. I do not know if this was what allowed us to do it or not.

However I do know that once you have it up you have to add code to discover the drive letter otherwise it is useless.

It is not a hard process, just tedious.

I will look into it more and if I get some interest on the steps I will post them here. May just post them Monday anyway.
MrWilsonUSCG

Postby Wiedmann » 04. August 2006 23:14

MrWilsonUSCG wrote:you have to add code to discover the drive letter

Thsi thread is about Linux and not Windows...
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby tomhung » 30. August 2006 21:05

why dont you symlink your /opt/lampp directory to your pendrive?
Code: Select all
ln -s /pendrive/opt/lampp /opt/lampp
tomhung

Return to XAMPP for Linux