PhpMyAdmin password explanation

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

PhpMyAdmin password explanation

Postby Silverman » 04. August 2006 14:51

Hello,

I want to make a username and a password afcourse for PhpMyAdmin.
But the 3 explanations on the website aren't that clear.
I don't understand it. Does anyone got some better explanation?
Maybe with screens?

Thanks anyway,
Silverman

Postby Wiedmann » 04. August 2006 15:00

Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby dwion » 04. August 2006 15:05

By default (out-of-the-box), you're given the username "root" and have no password:

username: root
password: ""

Your username does not change (no need for it to). If you don't plan to open your server to the world (not recommended), or share your computer with your little brother, then you don't have to create a password if you don't want to. However, I find it's generally more intuitive to have one when testing various CMS in development, so do this...

1. Turn on XAMPP.
2. In browser, go to http://localhost/security/index.php
3. Change/Add new password under the MySQL section.

Simple eh? The key is to follow the "Security" link when you first open your xampp start page and from there follow the link in step 2 above.
dwion

Postby dwion » 04. August 2006 15:09

Wiedmann wrote:"readme_en.txt":
http://localhost/security/

Honestly, Carsten, sometimes you're just a little too vague on details. I'll wager there wouldn't be half the questions there are in this forum (repeated no less) if there was simply better help material to begin with. Why-oh-why is there not an English language XAMPP wiki for Pete's sake. (rhetorical)
dwion

Postby Silverman » 04. August 2006 15:16

Aaaah thanks you very much ...
Cause i already changed the password ...
I got really confused by several things ...
Silverman

Postby Izzy » 05. August 2006 03:50

dwion wrote:
Wiedmann wrote:"readme_en.txt":
http://localhost/security/

Honestly, Carsten, sometimes you're just a little too vague on details. I'll wager there wouldn't be half the questions there are in this forum (repeated no less) if there was simply better help material to begin with. Why-oh-why is there not an English language XAMPP wiki for Pete's sake. (rhetorical)

Indeed.
Izzy

Postby Tjk » 15. August 2006 10:48

Thought I'd add this for completeness but MySQL hates numerical passwords or passwords containing numerals so stick to the alphabet.
Tjk

Postby Izzy » 15. August 2006 11:01

Tjk wrote:Thought I'd add this for completeness but MySQL hates numerical passwords or passwords containing numerals so stick to the alphabet.
Not sure where you got that little snippet of information. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

I use mixed numbers and letters and have done so in my passwords for mysql since before Pontius was a Pilot. :)
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows