upgrade issues

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Postby Izzy » 04. August 2006 05:24

If you installed over the top of your previous install it wont overwrite the config.inc.php with the new file from this install. It still using your old changed file.
You need to replace this and use the original file before you did any changes. You did back it up didn't you?
Last edited by Izzy on 04. August 2006 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby jcpahman77 » 04. August 2006 05:27

Here's the thing, not that directory. I backed up htdocs thinking it contained all I needed since that was the web root but aparently it wasn't enough.
jcpahman77

Postby Izzy » 04. August 2006 05:30

You may have to reinstall again and rename the old config.inc.php file so this new install drops in the new config.inc.php file. ;)

As a general rule and worth remembering is if you change a config file of any description always back it up first. If things go wrong with your changes you can always revert.
Izzy

Postby jcpahman77 » 04. August 2006 05:37

unfortunately I learn best from mistakes. Ok I'm going to rename the config.inc.php file and try again.
jcpahman77

Postby jcpahman77 » 04. August 2006 05:47

same results. The domain is www.memories-forever.net in the off chance you can see something I don't. I'll be going to bed soon though, it's getting late here in the states.
jcpahman77

Postby Izzy » 04. August 2006 06:03

PhpMyAdmin is free accessible by network UNSECURE
PhpMyAdmin is accessible by network without password. The configuration 'httpd' or 'cookie' in the "config.inc.php" can help.

You now need to change things in config.inc.php so back up this file then make the above changes.

I paste the top of mine here:
Code: Select all
/**
 * Sets the php error reporting - Please do not change this line!
 */
if (!isset($old_error_reporting)) {
    error_reporting(E_ALL);
    @ini_set('display_errors', '1');
}

/**
 * Your phpMyAdmin url
 * Complete the variable below with the full url ie
 *    http://www.your_web.net/path_to_your_phpMyAdmin_directory/
 * It must contain characters that are valid for a URL, and the path is
 * case sensitive on some Web servers, for example Unix-based servers.
 * In most cases you can leave this variable empty, as the correct value
 * will be detected automatically. However, we recommend that you do
 * test to see that the auto-detection code works in your system. A good
 * test is to browse a table, then edit a row and save it.  There will be
 * an error message if phpMyAdmin cannot auto-detect the correct value.
 * If the auto-detection code does work properly, you can set to TRUE the
 * $cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri_DisableWarning'] variable below.
 */
$cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] = '';

/**
 * Disable the default warning about $cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] not being set
 * You should use this if and ONLY if the PmaAbsoluteUri auto-detection
 * works perfectly.
 */
$cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri_DisableWarning'] = TRUE;

/**
 * Disable the default warning that is displayed on the DB Details Structure page if
 * any of the required Tables for the relationfeatures could not be found
 */
$cfg['PmaNoRelation_DisableWarning']  = FALSE;

/**
 * The 'cookie' auth_type uses blowfish algorithm to encrypt the password. If
 * at least one server configuration uses 'cookie' auth_type, enter here a
 * passphrase that will be used by blowfish.
 */
$cfg['blowfish_secret'] = 'xampp';

/**
 * Server(s) configuration
 */
$i = 0;
// The $cfg['Servers'] array starts with $cfg['Servers'][1].  Do not use $cfg['Servers'][0].
// You can disable a server config entry by setting host to ''.
$i++;
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host']          = 'localhost'; // MySQL hostname or IP address
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['port']          = '';          // MySQL port - leave blank for default port
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket']        = '';          // Path to the socket - leave blank for default socket
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type']  = 'tcp';       // How to connect to MySQL server ('tcp' or 'socket')
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension']     = 'mysql';     // The php MySQL extension to use ('mysql' or 'mysqli')
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress']      = FALSE;       // Use compressed protocol for the MySQL connection
                                                    // (requires PHP >= 4.3.0)
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser']   = '';          // MySQL control user settings
                                                    // (this user must have read-only
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass']   = '';          // access to the "mysql/user"
                                                    // and "mysql/db" tables).
                                                    // The controluser is also
                                                    // used for all relational
                                                    // features (pmadb)
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']     = 'cookie';    // Authentication method (config, http or cookie based)?
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user']          = 'root';      // MySQL user
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password']      = '';          // MySQL password (only needed
                                                    // with 'config' auth_type)
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['only_db']       = '';          // If set to a db-name, only
                                                    // this db is displayed in left frame
                                                    // It may also be an array of db-names, where sorting order is relevant.
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['verbose']       = '';          // Verbose name for this host - leave blank to show the hostname

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['pmadb']         = 'phpmyadmin';          // Database used for Relation, Bookmark and PDF Features
                                                    // (see scripts/create_tables.sql)
                                                    //   - leave blank for no support
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'phpmyadmin'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['bookmarktable'] = 'PMA_bookmark';          // Bookmark table
                                                    //   - leave blank for no bookmark support
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'pma_bookmark'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['relation']      = 'PMA_relation';          // table to describe the relation between links (see doc)
                                                    //   - leave blank for no relation-links support
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'pma_relation'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['table_info']    = 'PMA_table_info';          // table to describe the display fields
                                                    //   - leave blank for no display fields support
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'pma_table_info'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['table_coords']  = 'PMA_table_coords';          // table to describe the tables position for the PDF schema
                                                    //   - leave blank for no PDF schema support
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'pma_table_coords'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['pdf_pages']     = 'PMA_pdf_pages';          // table to describe pages of relationpdf
                                                    //   - leave blank if you don't want to use this
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'pma_pdf_pages'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['column_info']   = 'PMA_column_info';          // table to store column information
                                                    //   - leave blank for no column comments/mime types
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'pma_column_info'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['history']       = 'PMA_history';          // table to store SQL history
                                                    //   - leave blank for no SQL query history
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'pma_history'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['verbose_check'] = TRUE;        // set to FALSE if you know that your pma_* tables
                                                    // are up to date. This prevents compatibility
                                                    // checks and thereby increases performance.
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowDeny']['order']           // Host authentication order, leave blank to not use
                                     = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowDeny']['rules']           // Host authentication rules, leave blank for defaults
                                     = array();

And this from a clean file:
Code: Select all
/**
 * Your phpMyAdmin URL.
 * Complete the variable below with the full url ie
 *    http://www.your_web.net/path_to_your_phpMyAdmin_directory/
 * It must contain characters that are valid for a URL, and the path is
 * case sensitive on some Web servers, for example Unix-based servers.
 * In most cases you can leave this variable empty, as the correct value
 * will be detected automatically. However, we recommend that you do
 * test to see that the auto-detection code works in your system. A good
 * test is to browse a table, then edit a row and save it.  There will be
 * an error message if phpMyAdmin cannot auto-detect the correct value.
 */
$cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] = '';

/**
 * Disable the default warning that is displayed on the DB Details Structure page if
 * any of the required Tables for the relationfeatures could not be found
 */
$cfg['PmaNoRelation_DisableWarning']  = FALSE;

/**
 * The 'cookie' auth_type uses blowfish algorithm to encrypt the password. If
 * at least one server configuration uses 'cookie' auth_type, enter here a
 * passphrase that will be used by blowfish. The maximum length seems to be 46
 * characters.
 */
$cfg['blowfish_secret'] = 'xampp';

/**
 * Server(s) configuration
 */
$i = 0;
// The $cfg['Servers'] array starts with $cfg['Servers'][1].  Do not use
// $cfg['Servers'][0]. You can disable a server config entry by setting host
// to ''. If you want more than one server, just copy following section
// (including $i incrementation) serveral times. There is no need to define
// full server array, just define values you need to change.
$i++;
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host']          = 'localhost'; // MySQL hostname or IP address
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['port']          = '';          // MySQL port - leave blank for default port
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket']        = '';          // Path to the socket - leave blank for default socket
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type']  = 'tcp';       // How to connect to MySQL server ('tcp' or 'socket')
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension']     = 'mysql';     // The php MySQL extension to use ('mysql' or 'mysqli')
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress']      = FALSE;       // Use compressed protocol for the MySQL connection
                                                    // (requires PHP >= 4.3.0)
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser']   = 'pma';          // MySQL control user settings
                                                    // (this user must have read-only
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass']   = '';          // access to the "mysql/user"
                                                    // and "mysql/db" tables).
                                                    // The controluser is also
                                                    // used for all relational
                                                    // features (pmadb)
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']     = 'config';    // Authentication method (config, http or cookie based)?
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user']          = 'root';      // MySQL user
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password']      = '';          // MySQL password (only needed
                                                    // with 'config' auth_type)
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['only_db']       = '';          // If set to a db-name, only
                                                    // this db is displayed in left frame
                                                    // It may also be an array of db-names, where sorting order is relevant.
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['verbose']       = '';          // Verbose name for this host - leave blank to show the hostname

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['pmadb']         = 'phpmyadmin';          // Database used for Relation, Bookmark and PDF Features
                                                    // (see scripts/create_tables.sql)
                                                    //   - leave blank for no support
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'phpmyadmin'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['bookmarktable'] = 'pma_bookmark';          // Bookmark table
                                                    //   - leave blank for no bookmark support
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'pma_bookmark'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['relation']      = 'pma_relation';          // table to describe the relation between links (see doc)
                                                    //   - leave blank for no relation-links support
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'pma_relation'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['table_info']    = 'pma_table_info';          // table to describe the display fields
                                                    //   - leave blank for no display fields support
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'pma_table_info'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['table_coords']  = 'pma_table_coords';          // table to describe the tables position for the PDF schema
                                                    //   - leave blank for no PDF schema support
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'pma_table_coords'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['pdf_pages']     = 'pma_pdf_pages';          // table to describe pages of relationpdf
                                                    //   - leave blank if you don't want to use this
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'pma_pdf_pages'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['column_info']   = 'pma_column_info';          // table to store column information
                                                    //   - leave blank for no column comments/mime types
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'pma_column_info'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['history']       = 'pma_history';          // table to store SQL history
                                                    //   - leave blank for no SQL query history
                                                    //     DEFAULT: 'pma_history'
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['verbose_check'] = TRUE;        // set to FALSE if you know that your pma_* tables
                                                    // are up to date. This prevents compatibility
                                                    // checks and thereby increases performance.
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowRoot']     = TRUE;        // whether to allow root login
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowDeny']['order']           // Host authentication order, leave blank to not use
                                     = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowDeny']['rules']           // Host authentication rules, leave blank for defaults
                                     = array();

You have created a new password for root to make mySQL secure from the web? Check this is correct and if not change it as it may still be in the my or my.cnf or my.ini files as the old password you set previously.

Try also to connect from a command prompt (Start-Run-cmd.exe) with this command (use your own path to the mysql\bin directory:

cd Path:\to\xampp\mysql\bin
mysqladmin --user=root ping

cd Path:\to\xampp\mysql\bin
mysqladmin --user=root --password=rootpassword ping
Izzy

Postby jcpahman77 » 05. August 2006 02:03

I'm still working on decifering all of the text in the config.inc.php file but using the command prompt method you listed at the bottom yeilds and access denied error. Also I ran a search of my harddrive and can find no file named my, my.ini or my.cfg. I know I had a root password and I know at one point I had been given a method that from the cmd prompt would allow my to overwrite the default password with another, I just cannot remember the syntax to save my life.
jcpahman77

Previous

Return to XAMPP for Windows