ip banns

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

ip banns

Postby numb » 03. August 2006 08:16

how can one banned ip so that ip or certain person cannot see web pages i am using new xampp
numb

Re: ip banns

Postby Izzy » 03. August 2006 08:45

numb wrote:how can one banned ip so that ip or certain person cannot see web pages i am using new xampp

Here is one way you can do it.

Create a .htaccess file in your text editor and add these lines substituting the xxx with the IP numbers or IPs you want to ban:
Code: Select all
<Limit GET>
order allow,deny
allow from all
deny from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/27
deny from domain1.com domain2.com
</Limit>

As well as banning an IP you can also ban a domain name.
Leave a space between each one if you list more then one.

You can also just add these lines to an existing .htaccess file:
deny from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
deny from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

like a list of IPs and you can add a group of IPs (CIDR ) like this:
deny from xxx xxx.xxx.xxx/27

Put the .htaccess file in your root web directory (where the index.html or index.php for your site is) if you want to ban the IP from the complete web site or put the .htaccess file in the directory that contains the web pages you want the IP banned from.

If a banned visitor tries to access the specified location (where the htaccess file is located) they will see the 403 Forbidden Access Error Page.

Here's a link that has some interesting things you can do with a .htaccess file. The ban IP is down at the bottom.
http://www.adultchamber.com/learning/htaccess.htm
Izzy

ip banns

Postby numb » 03. August 2006 09:45

were do i save the file .htaccess once created? in the xampp folder?
numb

Re: ip banns

Postby Izzy » 03. August 2006 09:50

numb wrote:were do i save the file .htaccess once created? in the xampp folder?

izzy wrote:Put the .htaccess file in your root web directory (where the index.html or index.php for your site is) if you want to ban the IP from the complete web site or put the .htaccess file in the directory that contains the web pages you want the IP banned from.

In XAMPP the default root web directory is xampp\htdocs. If you have put your web site in there then that is where you save the .htaccess file to. If you have put your web site in xampp\htdocs\mywebsite then you save it to that directory etc.etc.
Last edited by Izzy on 03. August 2006 09:58, edited 2 times in total.
Izzy

ip banns

Postby numb » 03. August 2006 09:55

thankl you so much for help was very helpful
numb

ip banns

Postby numb » 03. August 2006 10:23

one other thing how unbann? i removed my ip but still dont have acess..duh me i need sleep lol
numb

Postby Izzy » 03. August 2006 10:27

Delete or rename the .htaccess file or remove the deny from line including the IP if you have more than 1 IP being banned.

Don't forget to clear your browser's cache.
Izzy

phpmyadmin

Postby numb » 03. August 2006 16:07

http://www.cybercon.ws/xampp/index.php
i get this when i open up mypapadmin how can i set it so the login screen shows up first tried reading instructions on xampp faqs but doesnt seem to work has set up password when clicked on myphp admin but still see the main page
numb

xampp phpmyadmin

Postby numb » 03. August 2006 16:12

i get this when i run my secure check in phpmyadmin
XAMPP SECURITY [Security Check 1.0]
This page gives you a quick overview about the security status of your XAMPP installation. (Please continue reading after the table.)

Subject
Status

These XAMPP pages are accessible by network for everyone UNSECURE
Every XAMPP demo page you are right now looking at is accessible for everyone over network. Everyone who knows your IP address can see these pages.

The MySQL admin user root has no longer no password SECURE

PhpMyAdmin password login is enabled. SECURE

A FTP server is not running or is blocked by a firewall! UNKNOWN
A FTP server is not running or is blocked by a firewall!

PHP is NOT running in "safe mode" UNSECURE
If do you want to offer PHP executions for outside persons, please think about a "safe mode" configuration. But for standalone developer we recommend NOT the "safe mode" configuration because some important functions will not working then. More Info
numb

Re: phpmyadmin

Postby Izzy » 03. August 2006 23:31

numb wrote:http://www.cybercon.ws/xampp/index.php
i get this when i open up mypapadmin how can i set it so the login screen shows up first tried reading instructions on xampp faqs but doesnt seem to work has set up password when clicked on myphp admin but still see the main page

When I try and access your phpMyAdmin from your link above I am asked for a user/pass. So that is working.

Try deleting or renaming the .htaccess file you put in the htdocs\xampp directory. It seems you have lost the Password input boxes on the Security page to change the mySQL password and to secure your web pages.

If after deleting or renaming the .htaccess file you still have no Password input boxes then do a reinstall of XAMPP as you may have a corrupted or damaged install.

When you have set your passwords etc. on the Security page in your fresh install, you may find that XAMPP has created a .htaccess file in the xampp\htdocs directory that you can add your banned IPs to, below the entries added by XAMPP, as in my instructions for adding to an exsisting .htaccess above. But my advice is after you have set your Security passwords for MySQL and the XAMPP pages, you can then set up cybercon.ws website in the location you are going to use, then add your banning .htaccess file in its directory.
Izzy

user sign up error

Postby numb » 04. August 2006 12:08

when some one trys to sign up a name and password they get this message..
Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\chat\checksignup.php on line 150
Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)...
can tell me how to fix it seems when i set password to my root in myphpadmin and myodbc that shows but when remove the password set bk to defualt it works but then all has acess to myphpadmin
numb

Postby Izzy » 04. August 2006 12:59

You need to configure your chat script with the correct database details that it uses. It can't connect to the chat database as the root user if it is not configured so to do.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows