Apache Control Panel

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache Control Panel

Postby Dizfunkshunal » 24. July 2006 23:47

Is there a program like cpanel orsomethingi can use to configurelike subdomain names ,etc. I can get for xampp?
Dizfunkshunal

Re: Apache Control Panel

Postby Izzy » 25. July 2006 01:13

Dizfunkshunal wrote:Is there a program like cpanel orsomethingi can use to configurelike subdomain names ,etc. I can get for xampp?
Try ZPanel - http://www.thezpanel.com.
It is free, you only pay for support if you really need it.

I found it quite user friendly after using it on a test basis and going through all the features both in Admin mode and as an end user.

I have installed version ZPanel v2.5b11 and it works just fine with XAMPP with absolutely no problems.
Izzy

Postby Dizfunkshunal » 25. July 2006 02:29

Thank you very much
Dizfunkshunal

Postby Dizfunkshunal » 25. July 2006 02:59

Thanks thats kinda what i am looking for. I installed it but it didnt giveme any options for subdomain creation,etc. it showed mesomething about hosting packages
Dizfunkshunal

Postby Izzy » 25. July 2006 06:36

You have to have your own domain name like mydomain.com etc.

That mydomain.com has to have name servers allocated at your domain name registrar like godaddy.com or enom.com etc. in the form ns1.dnsprovider.com and ns2.dnsprovider.com etc.

Unless you are running your own nameserver software (bind) on your XAMPP server then the only place you can create a subdomain is at your mydomain.com DNS Service provider like zoneedit.com or noip.com etc. in the form subdmain.mydomain.com

This subdmain.mydomain.com then has to propagate around the Internet before anyone can use the subdomain.mydomain.com address just like the main mydomain.com address had to propagate after it was created or edited.

cPanel hosting services have their own name server software (bind) and all cPanel does is act as a front end to various server functions and one of those functions is to configure named.conf (the bind configuration file) and the rest of the needed configurations like email etc., with your new subdomain details.

Unfortunately if you are not running your own DNS but rely on a DNS Service (especially if you have a dynamic IP) then there are no control panels that I know of that would do this job.

Once you have created a subdomain at your DNS Service of choice then ZPanel can handle subdomains in the Admin panel under User Management.

Also if you were using the Linux OS then this would not be a problem as Bind is included in most Distros. Then there are a plethora of control panels that would do the job nicely.

Not much help to you I'm afraid except perhaps to explain the vagaries of the world of DNS. :)
Izzy

Postby Dizfunkshunal » 25. July 2006 23:36

thank you for your help I run xampp local for editing of my web sites and such i do notuse it forproduction,etc. thanks again
Dizfunkshunal

Return to XAMPP for Windows