Problems running XAMPP for Mac OSX

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Problems running XAMPP for Mac OSX

Postby Elwood1308 » 20. July 2006 10:00

I've downloaded and installed XAMPP successfully, but I'm a bit confused by the following instructions:

"...Step 3: Start
Go to a Terminal shell and login as the system administrator root:
sudo su..."

Can anyone tell me what a 'Terminal Shell' is? as I have no clue what this means and I am totally lost?!

I am also thrown by the next instruction:

"... To start XAMPP simply call this command:
/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/mampp start ..."

How do I call this command? Do I simply navigate to the file in my hard drive? as I've tried this but my mac doesn't know what application to open the file as.

Sorry if these are really basic questions, but I'm new to this so any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Elwood
Elwood1308

Postby divivo » 23. July 2006 14:00

Go to Application -> Utilities -> Terminal.app
Get great inspiration at : http://www.divivo.com
divivo

Postby drstir » 24. July 2006 15:15

Hi Elwood

I sympathise... I'm completely new to all this as well. And although it sounds easy, if you've got as little clue as me, it's a steep learning curve.

I'm a couple of steps ahead of you, insofar as I've figured how to use the terminal, log on as root, and get XAMPP installed. But it would be a case of the blind leading the blind if I offered any advice.

I'll be interested to see how you get on. Good luck :)
David
drstir

Postby drstir » 27. July 2006 16:45

For anyone else struggling to get to grips with setting up php and MySQL for DreamWeaver on a Mac, I ended up removing XAMPP and following this tutorial: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver ... ntosh.html

I'm sure XAMPP is very good, but I found following this tutorial very simple and straightforward. Which is what I needed.
David
drstir

Postby bugsmi0 » 30. August 2006 18:12

yea both xampp and mamp although seem to be a great idea they are no match for the OS X setup,

once you have the OS X set up everything is a snap and if you can just do that why would one need to use a virtual all in one combo,

I can understand its easy but it does not behave as it should, if things work perfectly in OS X apache for example then any configuration in the xampp/mamp apache should be equaly as perfect but its not, its a lot of headaches unfortunately

If they could only get it to act like OSX and make virtual hosting and even setting up live domain with it then it would be excellent maybe in the future, someday,
bugsmi0

Return to XAMPP for macOS