out of memory & ODBC not found

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

out of memory & ODBC not found

Postby Anna » 17. July 2006 14:43

Hi

I have two problems.

First, in trying to install a forum I came across the following error:
SQL error: Out of memory (Needed 4294967264 bytes)

I tried to edit the sql memory to

set-variable=key_buffer=32M

using the sqladmin, but no luck. Possibly linked to this is the strange file type that the sql ini file (my) is set to. This is showing as a "speed dial" type program and I cannot open it for editting with anything.

Also, in sqladmin there is no information in any sevtion other than a very small list of variables for my.ini. On the first page (Environment) it says MyODBC driver 3.51 not found. It also lists my operating system as whistler. (I am using xp).

If I try to manually create a file with a .cnf extension it seems to be saved as a speed dial file.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Anna

Postby Wiedmann » 17. July 2006 15:32

First, in trying to install a forum I came across the following error:
Code: Select all
SQL error: Out of memory (Needed 4294967264 bytes)

There must be something wrong with the forum software.
--> This software needs 4Gbyte more memory then you pc have during the installation? Maybe you should ask the support from that software.

set-variable=key_buffer=32M

IMHO there is no variable "key_buffer". Only "key_buffer_size".

This is showing as a "speed dial" type program and I cannot open it for editting with anything.

Why not? You can edit this file with e.g. notepad.

Also, in sqladmin there is no information in any sevtion other than a very small list of variables for my.ini.

You mean "winsqladmin"? This is a very old program from MySQL without any support. And no need to use this program.

On the first page (Environment) it says MyODBC driver 3.51 not found.

Mayby you have no ODBC driver installed? But as I remember: This software can't show the correct ODBC driver status with current Windows versions.

It also lists my operating system as whistler. (I am using xp).

"Whistler" is/was the internal name for Windows XP during the Windows development.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Anna » 17. July 2006 15:40

Thanks for the response. Very informative.

The "speed dial" type files do not give anything other than open, cut, delete, send to, and properties when I right click on them. I have no option to "open with" for example.

I copied the contents from winmysqladmin into a file and renamed it my.ini

Strange about the 4Gb memory request, will follow that up with my forum providers. The forum is invision powerboard, one I have installed on remote websites without problem many times. But will follow through on that elsewhere.

Thanks again for the assistance. Much appreciated.
Anna

Postby Wiedmann » 17. July 2006 15:44

The "speed dial" type files do not give anything other than open, cut, delete, send to, and properties when I right click on them. I have no option to "open with" for example.

Two solutions:
a) you can open your editor, editor menu "open file" and select the "my.cnf" in the file browser.

b) put the "my.cnf" with drag 'n drop from the explorer into the editor.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Anna » 17. July 2006 15:51

Thank you once more.

This is going to be a huge learning curve :)

I have worked with php and mysql for a while, but in a totally different environment. Looking forward to the challenge.
Anna

Return to XAMPP for Windows