HOW do I TURN ON REGISTER GLOBALS IN config.inc.php file?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

HOW do I TURN ON REGISTER GLOBALS IN config.inc.php file?

Postby btos » 19. May 2006 03:38

If I have to learn to speak German to learn this most confusing programming...I QUIT. I have studied for an hour trying to find how to turn on register globals in the config.inc.php file. The file is huge! The code is enormous! How do you find the register globals and turn them on? Is there a secret hiding place in phpmyadmin?

I cannot find anything readable from the forum's search! I tried the English version but when I launch a search- English preferences vanish and mixes with German! PHP, MySql is by far the hardest thing I have ever tried to learn...makes ASP look like an absolute breeze, which I learned very quickly. Since beginning in January, I have made no headway in php, mysql. I did not purchase 2 books to learn it either. Even with books, this stuff is more frustrating than anything I've yet to encounter. I hope the learning curve gets easier, cause it is a time bandit! Three hours a day sometimes with no results. Without help of a forum, I would give up. Thank you.
btos

Postby Wiedmann » 19. May 2006 06:02

I have studied for an hour trying to find how to turn on register globals in the config.inc.php file.

The file "config.inc.php" is the config file for the script phpMyAdmin and have nothing to do with the PHP base configuration.

How do you find the register globals and turn them on?

"register_globals" you can turn on in the PHP config file "php.ini" in "\xampp\apache\bin".

BTW: It's really not a good idea to do that!
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

configure confusion

Postby btos » 19. May 2006 13:03

The book, PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites, has a tutorial in the first chapter that revolves around the register globals being turned on to demonstrate different server variables, like the type of browser, the time, etc. If I am to get through just one complete tutorial, I need to follow the instructions verbatim.

I've yet to find one tutorial that explains things to a degree that I don't have to seek help from a forum. I don't see what the big deal is with register globals- I'm working from a localhost; trying to understand the program language...and get this nightmare configured to work properly! The idea is to learn. I will look into your instructions further for the results that I need. Guess I can start to post questions on the book's forum- when I get configured. Thank you for the input.
btos

Postby Wiedmann » 19. May 2006 13:21

The book, PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites, has a tutorial in the first chapter that revolves around the register globals being turned on

Bring back this book to the book store ;-)

to demonstrate different server variables,

http://de.php.net/manual/en/language.va ... efined.php

BTW:
Try phpinfo() and you can see all those variables and their names.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby btos » 19. May 2006 14:56

Now that I am completely confused-again...after having invested in a book that was rated very high at Amazon (btw, it was the first edition) you tell me it is wrong...OK, can you tell me where I CAN find any good tutorials that work? These programs may be free but there's no end to the time you must spend trying to learn how they work. Thanks.
btos

Return to XAMPP for Windows