MySql:Error: two instances running?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MySql:Error: two instances running?

Postby btos » 15. May 2006 16:23

Just installed XAMPP...Trying to learn mysql and php database building but after six months have still not found the right solution. I think I may be on track now with the XAMPP but have seen an error within the prompt, when starting MySql.

Installation of XAMPP is in the program files of my hard drive. I already had an instance of MySql installed in my program files, as well as another instance installed in another server program on my XP box...Abyss, which is swithched off during Apache session. So within the Abyss web server, Program files, and now my XAMPP program, I have the MySql program installed- three times. It has been a nightmare trying to learn php and mysql becase of installation issues and interopreablility within the XP Home environment.

Here is the error:
MySql is staring with msql\bin\my.cnf<console>
Can't start server on TCP/IP port: No such file or directory
060515 10:09:01 [ERROR] Aborting...
MySQL could not be started

I can create a database from the phpMyAdmin so something is going on within MySQL but I have no idea what? If I'm ever to learn database programming, I must get everything working first. Any coaching on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
btos

Postby capitalfellow » 15. May 2006 19:39

Why do you have 3 seperate installs of the same software? Remove them if you're not using them. Do you still need the Abyss installation? XAMPP is a very well integrated package, you should be able to import your data from other installations rather than have 3 seperate versions to keep track.

1) Tell us which verison of XAMPP you've installed
2) Make sure all your versions of MySQL are stopped
3) Make sure all your versions of a webserserver (XAMPP & Abyss, and whatever else you may be running) are stopped.
4) start xampp
capitalfellow

Operating System: OS X

Postby btos » 16. May 2006 04:33

I have this version: XAMPP (basic package) version 1.5.2. I won't remove the Abyss server because it runs my asp development and was difficult to configure with XP Home ( I do keep it off when Apache runs). I did install MySQL into Abyss' folder with advice from their forum suggestions and a special version that was supposed to work with their software for php and MySql. I didn't think to turn that MySQL version or the other one off but will give that a go next time I get my momentum going on this frustrating set-up problem (I ordered a book and am waiting for it plus I'm slammed with work right now). I'm not using Abyss for MySQL yet but may want it later for use with asp development.

I believe I actually created a database but have not yet discovered how to enter a table into it from the MySQL Admin. Waiting for the book since good tutorials are very hard to find.

Then there's the MySQL Server that's installed in my c:/program files. You wouldn't belive the hoops I've been jumping through trying to configure a database! I'm guessing that I just remove the folder for uninstall? Hopefully I'll have some more time to burn on this endless project soon...Thank you for the suggestions and help- its going to be the only way I'll ever make any progress. I'm not a coder but am trying desperately to get underway with the complications of server interoperability...it's been very tough with XP Home... :roll:
btos

Postby capitalfellow » 16. May 2006 21:07

I'm not sure how much support there is in ASP for the MySQL database. However XAMPP and PHP can connect to and interact with MS SQL databases. If you're having trouble with MySQL have you tried using the web based administration tool phpMyAdmin? It's already configured and installed when you start XAMPP: http://localhost/phpmyadmin/.

It makes creating databases and adding/editing tables and users very easy.
capitalfellow

phpMyAdmin

Postby btos » 19. May 2006 03:56

Today I got two books on PHP and MySQL but still cannot perform the first tutorial on server variables. I am afraid to uninstall anything for fear of breaking the Abyss server, which works very well and I can get English support from their excellent forums. If I must go back and actually do some database work that pays, I'll simply use asp. Perhaps it would be easier for me to back-track and try the php/mysql on Abyss again, as they say it can be done. Right now I am too confused to even ask questions on this crazy program but appreciate the advice coach. After another week, maybe I will have a working configuration...if I have time to study it that much longer before going comatose, nuts or both.
btos

Postby capitalfellow » 19. May 2006 16:45

Which 2 books do you have now? Where (or is it online, post a link; mention the book title) is this first tutorial you are trying to get through ?
capitalfellow

Postby btos » 20. May 2006 13:58

http://www.dmcinsights.com/phorum/read.php?9,24730
I got an answer from the author...a first edition book. Now I have to try the solution...

Yes, I've been trying to learn php for some time now. I learned asp with a Dreamweaver tutorial, presnted at WebThang.com and that was a comfortable experience, compared to this. Gordon Knapp, the author of the site, died trying to learn php. He was a great man- I miss him.

This stuff is raw programming but I may be able to make up a library of snippets for DW to streamline development tasks and simplify everything. Just delegating the time to unravel all the problems has been the hardest thing to do. Students starve. Thank you for your interest!
btos

Return to XAMPP for Windows