Help with PERL

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Help with PERL

Postby strongd » 03. May 2006 03:37

Sorry...I don't speak German, but hopefully someone can help.

I am trying to install a perl program. It will update my dynamic IP address wtih the DNS servers.

Here is the error:

"Can't locate loadable object for module Sys::Hostname in @INC (@ contains: /etc/perl /user/local/lib/perl/5.8.0

it keeps going...

But the path to my perl is /opt/lampp/lib/perl5/5.8.7/

I went out and found Hostname.pm and copied it to my perl path ( /opt/lampp/lib/perl5/5.8.7/)

Went do I need to do? Do I need to install the Hostname.pm? How do I do this... I know nothing about perl.

Please help.

Thanks...
strongd

Postby capitalfellow » 09. May 2006 15:45

You have 2 problems going on. 1, perl is using your system install of PERL than your XAMPP install of PERL and 2, you don't seem to have the Sys::Hostname module installed.

Problem 1:

at command line type:

which perl

if the path that is printed isn't /opt/lampp perl is using your system install than your xampp install. So as a temporary fix you can add XAMPP to your path by typing:

export PATH=/opt/lampp/bin/perl;$PATH

or add that line to your .bash_profile in your $HOME as a permanent fix for the next time you log in.

Problem 2:
Sys::Hostname refers to a PERL module. Most PERL modules are on a giant archive called CPAN. Following their documentation How do I install PERL modules try this command:

perl -MCPAN -e 'install Sys::Hostname'
capitalfellow

Operating System: OS X

Return to XAMPP for Linux