I got mysql----?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

I got mysql----?

Postby superQ » 16. March 2006 06:07

Hello to all and I am very glad to be here. I had uniserver 3.2 and 3.3 installed[a few times] including mysql running as a service. I deleted uniserver which is supposed to remove it,including mysql, and installed xampp for Windows.

When the installation got to installing mysql it said it detected mysql or something so I skipped that--I don't think it gave me the option to install it anyway. Long story short. I did not install mysql and I don't have it as far as I know. It does not start in the xampp control panel.

At this point I used the uninstaller for xampp and uninstalled xampp. Killed the control panel and deleted that folder. Think it is all gone and am ready for another try.

Really would like to get it right this time

How do I tell if I have mysql installed. It shows up in the services with this path--c:\UniServerX.X\usr\local\mysql\bin\mysqld-opt.exe MySQL. It does not exist. If I try to start it is says cannot find path--which is right.

Everything went smooth except for this. I would like to get this done and would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Steve Sloan
superQ

Postby superQ » 16. March 2006 16:23

Well I guess I will reply to myself. I hope that is OK. These are just assumptions from someone who does not know much. :?

As stated above I had uniserver installed. One of the reasons I did this was because of it's simplicity and ease of removal,just delete the folder and you are done. Of course you are not really done till you get rid of the entry in the services directory,at least if you want to install something like xampp

It seems that if there are the words mysql in the services directory whatever is trying to install mysql thinks it is legitimate and already running as a service even though it is just words I guess since the path does not exist

If you enter this at the command prompt and hit enter it will remove the words

sc delete mysql

I don't know how hard it would be to include in the installation that it try to start the mysql server and get the correct response before it decides it already exists,but it would have help me. I think I am not the only one who may run into this problem. I am not suggesting you include it for me :D

I have not tried to reinstall xampp yet, but expect it to go OK.
Steve Sloan
superQ

Return to XAMPP for Windows