Cannot stop apache

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Cannot stop apache

Postby 30blows » 13. March 2006 14:08

First, thank you for the installation. It works, but:

* I cannot stop apache, either through the xampp control or through xampp_stop.exe. I get a message akin to "pv cannot stop apache.exe access denied'. And then, in about 30 seconds, my computer crashes with the message "process has locked pages".

* This would be okay, I could leave it running, except, I cannot shutdown or reboot with apache running and end up using the reset button, not a good idea. This problem occurs whether or not apache is running as a service.

I am running win2k, current service packs, etc., and using xampp to test development of dynamic web pages, not to host externally.

Any advice? Thank you.
30blows

Postby Wiedmann » 13. March 2006 14:16

I get a message akin to "pv cannot stop apache.exe access denied'.

Maybe a virus scanner blocks "pv.exe"?

This problem occurs whether or not apache is running as a service.

Installed as service, you can't stop Apache with:
Code: Select all
net stop apache2

?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby 30blows » 13. March 2006 14:39

I will investigate the anit-virus possibility.

Meanwhile, net stop apache2 times out with a message "The Apache2 service could not be stopped."

Then, investigating in control panel > admin tools > services, the apache2 services has a status of "stopping", and can neither be fully stopped nor started. The processes are still active and cannot be killed with the task manager, acess denied.
30blows

Postby 30blows » 13. March 2006 15:29

I disabled norton's and tested again with identical results.

The current state of affairs is:

* cannot stop apache with xampp control or xampp_stop.exe. Doing so not only fails to stop apache, but prevents normal reboot. About a minute later, the computer crashes with "process has locked pages"

* cannot stop apache with windows sytem tools or net stop. Both time out. But, on the upside, I can then reboot normally without a crash.

Perhaps I am the only person silly enough to run this on win2k.
30blows

Return to XAMPP for Windows