Upgraded to 1.5.1 and Apache is acting weird

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Upgraded to 1.5.1 and Apache is acting weird

Postby nikolai » 10. February 2006 17:16

I was previously running Xampp 1.5.0 pl1 which was installed with the ZIP file so there were no registry entries. All of my websites were working correctly. PHP was working perfectly.

First I stopped and uninstalled the existing services (xampp, apache and mysql)
I renamed the 'c:/xampp' as 'c:/xamppold'
I downloaded the zip file for version 1.5.1

I extracted the file to c:/xampp and reinstalled and started the xampp, apache and mysql services. i rebooted and the apache and mysql services had started correctly and were running.

The default xampp page works correctly. Though I did notice that SSI is not running for some reason. All of the php, sql examples work correctly.

However when I moved a folder containing a website from my old htdocs to my new htdocs folder, the page acts weird.

The page does display correctly in my browser. I know php is working because the page is assembled using a php template. Yet when I click on a link, the new page does not load. Strangely enough ,the new link address shows in my address bar, though I am still viewing the default page.

I tried switching from php5 to php4 and back with the same results.

I suspect something is wrong with the apache configuration that didnt exist in the previous version. I have not reinstalled it (though I do not see the point as there are no reigistry entries).
nikolai

Postby Wiedmann » 10. February 2006 17:26

The page does display correctly in my browser. I know php is working because the page is assembled using a php template. Yet when I click on a link, the new page does not load. Strangely enough ,the new link address shows in my address bar, though I am still viewing the default page.

I think you have a register_globals problem in your scripts
--> deprecated programming style
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby nikolai » 10. February 2006 17:46

i did try to enable reister_globals in php5.ini with no success after restarting all services.

FYI i am using global variables in the address. the displayed page is index.php and a variable tells it what content to grab.
nikolai

Postby Wiedmann » 10. February 2006 18:27

i did try to enable reister_globals in php5.ini with no success after restarting all services.

You can change this is "\xampp\apache\bin\php.ini"
--> read the XAMPP documentation or phpinfo().

BTW:
The better way is to correct the scripts.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby nikolai » 10. February 2006 20:03

that fixed it. i had been editing the php.ini in xampp/php/ instead of xampp/apache/bin/
nikolai

Postby DingBatz » 11. March 2006 09:57

Hi Wiedmann,

I too have a similar problem. I developed a site using an earlier version of Xampp and now have had to upgrade, leading to the same problem - the site works but once i navigate more than two levels down into the site, it hangs :(

I have 2 questions:

BTW:
The better way is to correct the scripts.

I am using Xampp purely as a local development area. The scripts I have written using the earlier version of Xampp work fine on my hosts webserver.
If i do correct the scripts to take account of this new change (on my local Xampp installation), will this cause problems when i upload the scripts to my hosts (presumably) older environment?

PS I am self taught so please forgive me if this is an obvious question.

the only details i have about the previous version of xampp are from the phpmyadmin sql dump:
##########
# phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
# version 2.5.7
# http://www.phpmyadmin.net
#
# Host: localhost
# Generation Time: Feb 11, 2006 at 12:26 PM
# Server version: 4.0.20
# PHP Version: 4.3.7
##########

from what i can gather, php directive register globals went from on to off in php 4.2.0 - does this mean that this is not the cause of the problem?

Any help much appreciated.[/quote]
DingBatz

Postby DingBatz » 11. March 2006 15:54

Hmm.. I tried setting register_globals to on but this hasn't helped - presumably there's another problem of a similar nature :(

If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be most welcome...

but in the meantime it looks like a reinstallation of the old version of xampp is called for :)
DingBatz

same here.

Postby sa3bin » 18. March 2006 02:25

i also currently have xampp-win32-1.5.0-pl1 but want to upgrade to the newer version. have tried, saving what docs i was told to and cannot connect for nothing. could someone please explain exactly what it is i need to save and then change and change to what???? thanks in advance. 8)
sa3bin

Return to XAMPP for Windows