Self-added web documents not viewable on localhost.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Self-added web documents not viewable on localhost.

Postby majelbstoat » 06. March 2006 04:12

Hi,

I'm using Xampp 1.5.1-beta 1. Xammp seems to be installed fine and I can see the status screen, phpMyAdmin and everything, all ok. However, any files or folders I add to htdocs myself are not viewable, and instead I get "Object Not Found". This affects every file that doesn't come with the Xampp distribution. Both the browser and apache server are on the same computer.

http://localhost/test.html for example doesn't work. http://127.0.0.1/test.html also does not work in the same way. The files definitely exist and are definitely under htdocs. I've had a look round, but couldn't find the answer to this anywhere already.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

J.
majelbstoat

Postby Wiedmann » 06. March 2006 13:07

http://localhost/test.html for example doesn't work. http://127.0.0.1/test.html also does not work in the same way. The files definitely exist and are definitely under htdocs.

For now i assume that XAMPP is installed in "C:\xampp".

Please open a "cmd.exe" and execute the following command:
Code: Select all
dir c:\xampp\htdocs\test.html

What is the output?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby thorsin » 06. March 2006 13:31

have a look at the file-properties concerning the permissions, sounds like your apache is not allowed to read these files...
thorsin

Postby majelbstoat » 06. March 2006 13:55

Hi, thanks for the reply:

Output from the command line:

C:\>dir c:\Development\xampp\htdocs\test.html
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is F8F6-C15A

Directory of c:\Development\xampp\htdocs

06/03/2006 11:04 11 test.html
1 File(s) 11 bytes
0 Dir(s) 1,356,288,000 bytes free

so it is being found.

have a look at the file-properties concerning the permissions, sounds like your apache is not allowed to read these files...

Not sure how this would happen. They are after all, just regular files. I've done nothing to them. Checking the properties from the command line reveals I am the owner of all the files. I attrib'd all the files to not hidden and not readonly, just to make sure (not that they were anyway), but still nothing...

Even turning it off and on again did nothing :) Previous versions of Xampp worked with no problems...

Any more ideas?

Thanks,

J.
majelbstoat

Postby thorsin » 06. March 2006 14:01

the question is less if YOU are able to read the files, the question is if the APACHE-user is allowed to. right-click in the explorer and have a look over there...
thorsin

Postby Wiedmann » 06. March 2006 14:15

and instead I get "Object Not Found".

There must be something in the "error.log". Can you post this entry?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby majelbstoat » 06. March 2006 14:16

thorsin wrote:the question is less if YOU are able to read the files, the question is if the APACHE-user is allowed to. right-click in the explorer and have a look over there...

Sorry to be an idiot, but where can I check this? I'd know how to do it if it were Linux, or using FTP but I'm not sure how to see all the permissions a file has just using Windows, beyond readonly and hidden...

Thanks,

J.
majelbstoat

Postby majelbstoat » 06. March 2006 14:29

Hi,

I think I've found the problem. This is weird.

I chose C:\Development\ as the installation location in the installer and saw that everything was installed to C:\Development\xammp\.

However, the xammp directory contains a directory called Xampp, which I hadn't checked before because I assumed it was just background stuff. Now, opening C:\Development\xampp\xampp up in explorer showed me that Xampp appears to have been installed twice, once as a subdirectory of itself! The c:\Development\xammp\xampp folder also contains apache, htdocs, php and everything else...

Pages weren't visible on localhost when saved to c:\Development\xammp\htdocs but when I put test.html in c:\Development\xammp\xammp\htdocs, the page turned up...

This was a fresh install and seems very strange. I've seen another couple of posts on this forum complaining that even when they deleted index.php, index.html from the htdocs directory, it still went to the xampp startpage. I suspect this could be the reason for those problems too.

Any solutions on how to fix? I'll try a fresh install just to confirm first...

Cheers,

J.
majelbstoat

Postby majelbstoat » 06. March 2006 15:16

Well, I can't duplicate the error, so I guess it must have been my fault somehow. All's well now, though, so thanks for helping me get to a solution,

Cheers,

J.
majelbstoat

Return to XAMPP for Windows