Beginners Guide for XAMPP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Postby kuwaitya » 18. February 2006 13:11

thenks WorldDrknss very much for the effort

can any one upload the tutorials again beacsue i can't access these addresses??

Thanks
kuwaitya

Postby WorldDrknss » 19. February 2006 06:46

if you cant access the site using http://xampptutorials.com please use http://worlddrknss.blogdns.org

You will have to signup in order to view the tutorials.

:)

Good Luck
WorldDrknss

Postby kuwaitya » 20. February 2006 14:07

yes now i can access the first adress ...

but

about jioning the tables... in Xampp ,clikcing the "Relationship" after entring the structure of table is write way ??

then "how can i preveiw the class diagram ??"

also ,, if i had another program which i will design the pages ,, is the htdocs the right place to store these webpages ??

waiting for the answer plz
kuwaitya

Tutorials... Where are they?

Postby pasado » 22. February 2006 06:15

Well either I'm doing something wrong or there is a problem with login at these sites...

http://xampptutorials.com
http://worlddrknss.blogdns.org

I can login at the main page but if I go to tutorials or the forum I get logged out and when I log back in I'm redirected back to the main page :cry:

All I wanna do is find an updated tutorial on virtual hosts I'm using v1.5.1 and your httpd.conf does not tally up with mine, I haven't got #NameVirtualHost or any of the other stuff :?: All I want is for someone to push me in the right direction :?

Thanx
pasado

Postby WorldDrknss » 22. February 2006 22:35

Clear your cookies and history and you should be fine.
WorldDrknss

Postby pasado » 23. February 2006 04:00

doh :? now I feel stupid...

Thanks WorldDrknss 8)
pasado

Postby kuwaitya » 24. February 2006 20:30

kuwaitya wrote:yes now i can access the first adress ...

but

about jioning the tables... in Xampp ,clikcing the "Relationship" after entring the structure of table is write way ??

then "how can i preveiw the class diagram ??"

also ,, if i had another program which i will design the pages ,, is the htdocs the right place to store these webpages ??

waiting for the answer plz
kuwaitya

Postby WorldDrknss » 25. February 2006 01:50

I dont know how to do that sorry
WorldDrknss

Postby CPcoder » 25. February 2006 02:13

midiwhale wrote:Sorry have I missed a bit?

To map your (Internet) domain name (or sub domain) to your home PC running XAMPP, presumably you just point the domain name at the IP address of your machine?

If you're using sub folders (sub domains) presumably you just add the sub folder to the IP address?

Is that correct?

Sorry, I am new/wasn't here when this was posted, but maybe it can help somebody...

...there is a bit more involved if you want to make your domain name point to your home PC so everyone on the Internet can access it. And it may be up to your ISP whether they will even allow you to do it. (Many of them won't let you run webservers, or have a very high (business-oriented) fee for it.)

In a nutshell, you first need authority over your IP address. Authority is given from the top down. It starts with the whole of the Internet (ICANN manages the Internet's DNS). Top-level domains (below the root) are managed by other large organizations; for example, Network Solutions is responsible for ".edu". Below that, there may be first-level and second-level domains. The companies that manage a certain range of IPs are free to assign authority for those over to someone else, if they wish.

a: Get authority over your IP

So, your ISP has authority over some specific chunck of the Internet, identifyable as a certain range of IP addresses. They assign your computer an IP address when you buy their Internet service. However, to run DNS on it for the outside world to see, you need to have authority over that IP, and they may or may not do that (to keep home servers from eating up bandwidth).

You need to go through the process of finding the administrative email address for the authority over the chunk of the Internet in which your particular IP address resides, getting authority and having this information go wherever it needs to go, and setting up DNS and BIND. If you are going to keep sensitive information on your server, or just don't want your server easily hacked, then you also need to set up something like SSL and get a certificate for your site, which can be done though a company providing such service, or you can do it yourself (depends how much trust you are asking people to put in you).

I have not done this and it's a bit complicated. I did find a book that explains it very clearly, and in a lot of detail, called DNS and BIND, 4th Edition (O'Reily), by Paul Albitz & Cricket Liu. The 5th edition is coming out soon.

b: Use "DNS forwarding"

Or, you could go the alternate method of using "DNS forwarding". There are some companies out there who obtain authority over chunks of the Internet and charge a fee to maintain your DNS for you. There is some process wherby their public records say that the domain belongs to their IP addresses, and then they forward requests for that IP address to your own computer's IP.

This requires that you install software that informs their database of your computer's "whereabouts" (your IP), and this software must be able to continually update their databases if you have a "dynamic IP" (meaning, your ISP makes your IP change for (officially) security, and to protect precious bandwidth (probably) by making it harder to set up a server on your home computer).

There are a lot of people out there writing open-source and shareware software for doing this, and some of them are hard to use, or seem to fail (which is why I gave up on DNS forwarding). Others have had no problems. I am behind a router with its own firewall (in addition to the software firewall on my computer), and I don't know if that is a cause of my headaches, although some of these programs say they are supposed to work in exactly these situations. Of course, there is no guarrantee.

If you have a static IP (stays the same for a month or forever), DNS forwarding becomes much easier. But I have a static IP address and none of the software I tried worked for me. I decided to focus on the more complicated but ultimately (I hope) more rewarding method of learning to run DNS and BIND for myself, not that I've had time to do so yet. Some people have no problems, so maybe you'd want to try DNS forwarding first. You still want SSL or something like it for certain applications and parts of your websites, though. Security Certificates are a lot less complicated, even if you do your own instead of paying $25 a year.

As for subdomains, it may be easier to use Virtual Domains specified in your server (Apache), which is all explained in how to configure your httpd.conf file. It's also good because people don't have to remember a long string of subdomain and domain for a given website, assuming you feel like paying to register multiple domain names. For Apache 2.2 (as in XAMPP 1.5.1), the Documents page is here. You can find links to various subjects like server configuration, details on every directive used in config files, using server-side includes and much more.

Again, I haven't set up a public server myself and can't give you any assitance on it. But having a public server on your computer involves more than just registering a domain name and running Apache, so I wanted to make sure you knew that. It all depends what you're willing to do yourself, and/or what you're willing to pay. It may just be easier to use a good webhost that allows you to run cgi, php, perl, mysql and whatever, instead of one that has oodles of restrictions. Then you can get all your programming education before you try to run a public server.

Hope this helps.
WinXP Home SP2
XAMPP 1.5.1 in top-level directory
Unzipped directly from .zip file
no other severs running
CPcoder

Postby WorldDrknss » 25. February 2006 03:51

For domain names you can use a free service at www.zoneedit.com to redirect your domain name to your externel ipaddress, as for subdomains you can either create a new folder in your root folder or create a new folder some where else and assign that folder an address and specify the location using virtualhost which takes place in apache/conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf.

and like CPcoder said:
It may just be easier to use a good webhost that allows you to run cgi, php, perl, mysql and whatever, instead of one that has oodles of restrictions. Then you can get all your programming education before you try to run a public server.

WorldDrknss

Postby XamppRocks » 26. February 2006 18:09

Now can u tell me 1 more thing how do i put bandwith restrictions
i mean limited bandwith to users and also please tell me how to make a nameserver
plz also tell abt the sql so all sites have unlimited sql
Thank you
XamppRocks

Postby WorldDrknss » 26. February 2006 21:51

Im not sure how to set bandwidth retrictions - you can use a hosting panel like "zpanel" to limit your users, and you cant make a namserver unless you have complete control over your ipaddresses. you can create a nameserver for the network of servers, but the best way would to be is install xampp on each server.

you can find more about namerserver for windows here.

http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/servers/windows.html

if you get any working please let me know at http://xampptutorials.com
thanks
Good Luck
WorldDrknss

Postby XamppRocks » 27. February 2006 06:07

See Now i have installed zpanel in "htdocs"
now i have added a virtual host for test here "C:\www\test"
so do i have to install zpanel out here too
coz i want people to acess the zpanel when they type thier url/zpanel like "www.test.com/zpanel"

is that possible or we have to make a zpanel in our site and people have to log on through there
XamppRocks

Postby WorldDrknss » 27. February 2006 08:39

it would be best to have them access your site with zpanel, the reason being is if its in there folders they will be ables to get your database name and password, and be able to access the zpanel admin panel if you do that. so it would be best to have it as yourdomainname.com/zpanel and not youruserdomainname.com/zpanel

WorldDrknss

Postby XamppRocks » 27. February 2006 09:44

Thnks For That

Can we set our own name server with just 1 comp is dat possible

or suppose i own the domain example.com
i could make a sub domain ns1.example.com and change the dns of that to the ip of the server is that possible

i have also got the software simple dns plus

can u help me in making a name server

and also one more thing i tried to use your mecury mail settings i have done all the steps and changed the stmp server to my isp and entered my username and password but still the mails dont go then i also tried gmail but still the mails dont go

what do i do ?

Thanks
XamppRocks

PreviousNext

Return to XAMPP for Windows