XAMPP: Connection hangs...

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP: Connection hangs...

Postby creativelogik » 14. December 2005 02:01

Hi,

I had XAMPPLITE running fine on my Windows XP SP2 machine up until a few days ago. Now, I run xampp_start.bat and everything seems to start up OK (Apache.exe and mysqld.exe are running and no strange errors in the logs), but when I got to http://localhost or http://127.0.0.1, the browser just hangs and no page is opened. If I then stop xampp (by running xampp_stop.bat) and try the same thing, I get a "The page cannot be displayed" error (which is to be expected I guess).

I have tried re-installing XAMPP and XAMPPLITE in several different locations (making sure to clean my registry before each install and then running setup_xampp.bat each time). I have also made sure all my ports are OK (running xampp-portcheck.bat says all ports are OK).

Apache and Mysql are both installed as services (I run "net start" from the cmd line and they are both listed). It also appears that Apache "should" be listening on port 80 (I run "netstat -nao" from the cmd line and get TCP 0.0.0.0:80 LISTENING, ... , TCP 0.0.0.0:3306 LISTENING).

I am even able to connect to mysql from the cmd line ("mysql -u root -p"), and when I run "status" I get the following output:
mysql> status
--------------
mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.15, for Win32 (ia32)
Connection id: 3
Current database:
Current user: root@localhost
SSL: Not in use
Using delimiter: ;
Server version: 5.0.15-nt
Protocol version: 10
Connection: localhost via TCP/IP
Server characterset: latin1
Db characterset: latin1
Client characterset: latin1
Conn. characterset: latin1
TCP port: 3306
Uptime: 13 min 38 sec

I have no other servers running on my computer, no proxy server installed and no other software that might interfere (that I can think of).

Please help, I'm desperate!!!

Thanks.
creativelogik

Postby creativelogik » 14. December 2005 04:19

I have been searching the forums quite thouroughly and have found that many people have had a similar problem to mine. However, it seems that NOBODY was able to confirm a fix for this issue. The only post that I found where somebody was able to get XAMPP going again, was a guy who had to re-install windows.... boo!

Please, can someone out there give me a suggestion????
creativelogik

Postby Wiedmann » 14. December 2005 10:21

Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby creativelogik » 14. December 2005 10:42

That did the trick. I probably never would have found that solution on my own because my cpu load wasn't being effected at all. Thank you so much!!!
creativelogik

Return to XAMPP for Windows