Xampp worked only once

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp worked only once

Postby Wouter » 11. November 2005 15:34

Hello,

I've installed Xampp for windows. After the first time I installed it, I used the apache and mysql service. Then I copied my homepage in the htdocs folder. I also set up my homepage in Dreamweaver.
And everything worked!
But after rebooting the computer, it doesn't work anymore. I can't even open the normal page. I've checked with xampp-portcheck.exe that every port is free. Also the firewall is turned off.
Can someone maybe help me solving this problem??

THanks in advance.

Wouter
Wouter

Postby imilanez » 11. November 2005 21:53

What Windows version are you using?

Did you check that the services are really installed?

Can you post the error messages, if any, so that we can get a better idea of the problem?

Later

Ivan Milanez Castellanos
Artificial Intelligence will never
be able to compete against
Natural Stupidity
imilanez

Postby Wouter » 12. November 2005 12:08

I am using Windows XP, with SP2 installed.

Since I've got the problem, I've installed Xampp again. Then some screens told that the services (MySql and Apache) were installed.
So I assume it's installed?

I don't get any error message, it's just that when I go to the adress http://localhost/.... the computer keeps searching for a "connection"/php page but it can't find/open it. The explorer just doesn't get any page.

Hope this can help you, helping me :)

Thanks.
Wouter

Postby imilanez » 12. November 2005 20:01

Are you working in your home computer?

I had this problem once at work and it turned out that the proxy server that we were using did not resolve localhost.

You might want to do a service check using the command console just write net start and press enter, this will display all the services that are running when the output stops look for Apache2 and mysql in the services list, if they are not there that means that the services are not running.

If they are not running you can type net start apache2 and enter to start apache2's service and net start mysql to start mysql service the advantage of doing this from the command console is that if there are errors stoping you from running the services they will show on screen that way you will know that something is wrong with one or the other.

Hope this helps.

Later.

Ivan Milanez Castellanos
Natural Stupidity
imilanez

Postby Wouter » 13. November 2005 17:36

I did run net start. But both Apache2 and mysql are running according to the screen/list :(.

Do you have some onther advise maybe??

Thanks in advance
Wouter

Postby imilanez » 15. November 2005 01:28

Have you tried loging in to mysql using the command line client?

mysql -u root -p <enter>
Enter password:

where password is the root password for your mysql if any.

also try to connect to http://127.0.0.1/ it's the numeric representation of localhost maybe it'll work.

did you netstat -nao in order to see if the ports 80 and 3306 are in use? if your apache and mysql services are running correctly these ports should be shown as listening

something like:

TCP 0.0.0.0:80 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:3306 LISTENING

Also here check to see if port 8080 is in use, this is the alternative port for Apache, so that if this is in use you should invoke your home page with http://localhost:8080/

Later

Ivan Milanez Castellanos
Natural Stupidity
imilanez

Postby Wouter » 15. November 2005 11:44

I didn't set any password.
But if i try to run the command: mysql -u root -p
then I get a "error": mysql doesn't get recognised as an internal or external command....
Don't know what it means?

And if I do the listing: then the ports are indeeed:
TCP 0.0.0.0:80 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:3306 LISTENING

There isn't any listing of port 8080. But if I try to connect to http://localhost:8080/ then the page/service can't be opened.

Hope you see some possiblities in these things?? :)

Thanks.
Wouter

Postby Wouter » 23. November 2005 15:04

Maybe does somebody else can help me??

Thanks in advance?!
Wouter

Return to XAMPP for Windows