WAN access problem

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

WAN access problem

Postby mayamaniac » 26. June 2005 22:43

Like some other folks here, I can't access the apache server from outside my LAN. I'm behind a router running DHCP server, but have configured my router to forward port 80 to the computer running the Apache server. Yet, still no access from outside the LAN. I even tried turning on DMZ on the router and point to the Apache server, and still no luck.

I'm new to Apache/SQL/PHP and not sure where to look to trouble shoot this. I have another XAMPP installed that is not behind a router and that worked without any problems. So I'm not sure if this is something caused by my router or I have to do something else to configure XAMPP to work behind a router.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
mayamaniac

Postby JohnNightwolf » 27. June 2005 06:53

greetings.

I had the same problem trying to setup my server the first time aswell

What IP are you using to point to the server
in the router there is an ip for each comp on the network and an ip for the network in hole
your router will tell you the outside networks ip, donot use the server comps ip you need to use the networks ip

To check what your ip is you can check it here

http://www.whatismyip.com/

this site will tell you what your ip is to use

I hope this helps
JohnNightwolf

Postby mayamaniac » 27. June 2005 21:36

one is called LAN IP which is usually in the 192.168.x.x range and of course the internet or WAN IP is whatever your ISP assigned to you. I understand all that. And I've configured it correctly in the router settings. I have other types of servers configured to work using different ports, such as VNC. They all work except for apache server. In my router menu, it clearly is forwarding port 80 to the apache server, which is LAN IP 192.168.1.200. But I still can't access via WAN or internet. Anyone else with other ideas?
mayamaniac

Postby JohnNightwolf » 29. June 2005 04:04

No man you need to use the wan ip not the lan ip
your router will not let an out side line to your lan ip

I have four comps on my home network one comp is the server "192.168.0.101" just like you stated each comp has it's own ip 192.168.0.xxx on the lan and the ip I use to access the server is 64.25.172.77 from the wan
it took me a month to figure out why I could not access the server till I used the ip addy that is assigned from my isp "64.25.172.77"
JohnNightwolf

Postby alucard01 » 29. June 2005 04:59

1. Check if ISP block port 80 (Actually it is in Hong Kong)
1.1 if yes, change your port.

2. Configure your router to forward incoming traffic to your port available

3. Configure your network card to accept traffic from your specific port

4. Check if your configuration of Apache is correct (i.e. you have already configure your <virtualHost *:[port number]> in httpd.conf and Listen [port number])

5. Outsider will then enter your site by ip:port, e.g. 200.200.200.200:8085, if ip is 200.200.200.200 and port number is 8085

It should be fine. And if you have no-ip or dyndns.org DNS resolution, configuration is similar...
alucard01

Postby mayamaniac » 30. June 2005 05:32

JohnNightwolf wrote:No man you need to use the wan ip not the lan ip
your router will not let an out side line to your lan ip

I understood exactly what you were talking about the first time and that is not the problem. Anyway, alucard01 was dead on.
alucard01 wrote:1. Check if ISP block port 80 (Actually it is in Hong Kong).

yep, you nailed it. I should've thought about changing the port number. Damn, that was dumb of me. :oops:

Anyway, I changed to a different port and now WAN access works. Thank you for the tip.
mayamaniac

Postby FunnyMoney » 05. November 2005 09:05

Hello to all!!

I was wondering if anyone can answer some of my questions coz im still a nooblet about hosting with apache server.:oops:

I'm sorry about resurrecting a very dead thread... But this thread interests me :mrgreen:

1. Check if ISP block port 80 (Actually it is in Hong Kong)
1.1 if yes, change your port.

2. Configure your router to forward incoming traffic to your port available

3. Configure your network card to accept traffic from your specific port

4. Check if your configuration of Apache is correct (i.e. you have already configure your <virtualHost *:[port number]> in httpd.conf and Listen [port number])

5. Outsider will then enter your site by ip:port, e.g. 200.200.200.200:8085, if ip is 200.200.200.200 and port number is 8085

It should be fine. And if you have no-ip or dyndns.org DNS resolution, configuration is similar...

It seems that when I try to ping the WAN IP of the LAN network (where my apache server is located) using the DOS console of another computer, I get Request Time Out. The question is... Before all those steps mentioned above (about port forwarding) to work, Should my WAN IP normally respond to any ping request from a computer outside my network before I can setup the port forwarding part of the router configuration??
FunnyMoney

Postby FunnyMoney » 06. November 2005 09:55

Doink*
FunnyMoney

Postby alucard01 » 07. November 2005 07:44

I am not very good a WAN actually....

Check these out:

- Did your router block worldwide ping? (i.e. your router will discard your "ping" for security reason..)

My assumption is: you have a wireless receiver which is connected to your LAN. And this receiver will receive all incoming wireless request.

If your wireless receiver work the same way as a normal router, i.e. receive a public IP, you can connect to your apache on LAN by connecting to this wireless receiver.

Hope it helps.
alucard01

Postby FunnyMoney » 08. November 2005 11:50

Hellooo!!

I guess it works now... i just did the portforwarding stuff and turned on xampp.. I still cant ping the wan ip but the browser in the computer outside the network can view the website with //WAN IP.

What funny though is that when i type //WAN IP in the browsers of the lan network where my webserver is connected.. nothing appears :lol: :oops: i still need to study some more. :roll: :twisted: Im just mad it took me a long time to notice :evil:

Thanks anyway, alucard :D
FunnyMoney

Postby Wiedmann » 08. November 2005 13:32

What funny though is that when i type //WAN IP in the browsers of the lan network where my webserver is connected.. nothing appears

That's a normal behaviour.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby FunnyMoney » 09. November 2005 05:15

What funny though is that when i type //WAN IP in the browsers of the lan network where my webserver is connected.. nothing appears

That's a normal behaviour.

Ohh.. why is that??

Actually i didnt change anything in my http.conf yet...

can I change something in my router or in the http.conf to allow me to use the //WAN IP?
FunnyMoney

Postby Wiedmann » 09. November 2005 10:34

can I change something in my router or in the http.conf to allow me to use the //WAN IP?

No.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows