XAMPP in Production

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP in Production

Postby wzard » 23. October 2005 22:53

I am starting this thread becuse I am about to do an Linux-Apache-MySql-PHP installation for someone to use to run a production application. I have in the past used WAMPP for development and think it is great. However as part of my preparation for the production environment I have been considering if installing XAMPP on the production server would be an option.

After reading different articles on the Internet it seems to be very mixed opinions of wether XAMPP is ok to be used in a production environment or not. Some claim they have several successful production installations whilst others claims that this is a big no no.

For this reason if you have any opinions on the points below please join the discussion and I hope this thread can be useful for everyone else considering using XAMPP in a production environment:

- Why XAMPP is a good alternative to use in production
- On the other hand, Why XAMPP should NOT be used in a production environment.
- If used what tweaking is mandatory, recommended or needs to be tweaked depending on the environment itself.
- What would be the best alternative rather that using XAMPP.

For any advise, recommodation, views, points or strong opinions and beliefs etc please join the thread!
wzard

Postby LazyOne » 24. October 2005 09:34

- Why XAMPP is a good alternative to use in production

easy installation, good packages, up to date

- On the other hand, Why XAMPP should NOT be used in a production environment.

some say unsafe, security risk and so on.. so if using in production, make it safe yourself.

- If used what tweaking is mandatory, recommended or needs to be tweaked depending on the environment itself.

php, apache, mysql tweaks, settings..

- What would be the best alternative rather that using XAMPP.

setting up all by yourself on your server.
:)
LazyOne

Postby wzard » 24. October 2005 10:03

Thank you for your input LazyOne. Can I please ask you to elaborate on one point? When you say "make it safe yourself".... I believe first of all that all default passwords etc needs to be changed. Also probably installing and configuring a package like SNORT would be a good option? Any thing else you would like to recommend?

Thanks
wzard

Return to XAMPP for Linux