Urgent Problem -- server slows to a crawl

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Urgent Problem -- server slows to a crawl

Postby davidah » 04. October 2005 19:17

Hi all,

I've got running XAMMP running on a Windows 2003 Server. It runs great..for a few days. Then the server will slow to a crawl. It's still operational, but it's impossibly slow. A reboot fixes it every time. When I'm able to access the proccess monitor I don't see any network activity, and only baseline CPU activity. Are there any known issues with running XAMPP (or Apache mySQL for that matter, on a server OS?)

Thanks,

David
davidah

Postby Reyx » 05. October 2005 11:49

I'd say the problem is windows itself.

Have you tried to defragment or, even better, clean up your RAM?
Otherwise, have to performed a virus check?

You say a reboot of windows fixes the problem, but how about an apache or mysql restart?
Reyx

Postby davidah » 05. October 2005 13:55

Shutdown of the services has been tricky. The server becomes so unresponsive that it's next to impossible to get at anyhing. I think I'll try leaving the XAMPP control panel running on the desktop all the time. That might give me a better chance of stopping the services.

We regurally run anti-virus scans on the server, but I don't know if it's been defragmented lately. I'll give that a try. I'll also look at what could be hogging RAM. The same programs that run the server, also run on an XP Pro box I use for testing with zero problems ever (and I work the test box over a lot harder than the production server).

Thanks,

David
Last edited by davidah on 06. October 2005 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
davidah

Postby Bobby Allen » 05. October 2005 14:28

davidah wrote:Shutdown of the services has been tricky. The server becomes so unresponsive that it's next to impossible to get at anyhing. I think I'll try leaving the XAMPP control panel running on the desktop all the time. That might give me a better chance of stopping the services.

We regurally run anti-virus scans on the server, but I don't know if it's been defragmented lately. I'll give that a try. I'll also look at what could be hogging RAM. The same programs that run the server, also run on an XP Pro box I use for testing with zero problems ever (and I work the test box over a lot harder than the production server).

The other IT person I work with is putting preasure on this (he's a devout Microsft fan and belives anything that didn't come from Redmond is suspect by default).

If anyone out there has any sucess stories running XAMPP on Windows 2000/2003 setup, I appriciate hearing them. While this woln't fix my technical problem, it sure would help with the office politics problem :).

Thanks,

David

Have you looked at 'Task Manager > Processes' it may not be XAMPP causing the problem, I had a simular problem and found it was actually my mail server that was the problem.

I also run XAMPP on MS Windows 2003 Server and on SuSE Linux 9.3 and have had no problems at all with Microsoft Windows 2003 Server. - Theres your success story :)
Bobby Allen

Postby davidah » 06. October 2005 12:52

Thanks for the help. I'm not currently running a mail server on this server. It does run Panda Admin Secure, and few other things. It's also a domain controller. We turned off Admin Secure (this server was just a backup for that program).

I also shutdown the (for lack of the actual name) the "stop light" utility mySQL puts in the system tray.

As of now, the server is showing 1 day and 18 hours of uptime. That incldues a full normal workday of people activly using it as well as a few nightly scheduled tasks firing off.

If it holds for the next 24 hours, I think even my resident skeptic will be conviced it's not the mySQL/apache...
davidah

Return to XAMPP for Windows