PHP syntax differences on Linux vs Windows

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

PHP syntax differences on Linux vs Windows

Postby doubleclick » 18. September 2005 14:58

In the FAQ, it says:

Other free opensource programs (CMS and so on) do not function!
Linux and Windows are different. So the crypt() function does not supported for windows and so on. Also the simple programming can be strange: For example the term 'var=Text;' functions in PHP for Linux. But for win32 you must program 'var="Text";'. If an opensource project were cunstructed consistently for Linux, such an error is sufficient, so the program does not function. Try it out!

I seem to have run into this problem. All of my scripts are working fine except for one. When I try to run it, Apache jumps to more than 90% CPU usage, and the whole machine comes to a crawl. No errors appear in either php or Apache log.

Is there a list somwhere that compares the coding differences mentioned in the faq so I can edit this script's code to run on my Windows install of XAMPP?

Thanks!
doubleclick

Postby Wiedmann » 18. September 2005 17:46

In the FAQ, it says:

It's not true what you can read there.

Only that one with crypt() a little bit:
On Windows crypt() use a MD5 encryption and not a DES-based encryption as on Linux.

Is there a list somwhere that compares the coding differences

There are only a few functions that are only available on Windows or only available on Linux. Read the PHP-Manual.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby doubleclick » 19. September 2005 00:16

There are only a few functions that are only available on Windows or only available on Linux. Read the PHP-Manual.

Such a big manual for such a little question.

I actually spent a fair amount of time with the manual, and cannot find a list of differences. Somewhere, somebody has to have done this. I am hoping that someone in this forum knows where this comparison list is.
doubleclick

Different approach

Postby cj_nza » 20. September 2005 06:47

In stead of trying to read through the entire manual, why not make a list of the functions that appears in the specific script and check them against the manual. Most scripts would only use a few (or at most there would only be a handful that you don't already know - and know that there are no recorded differences). If you use an edditor with PHP syntax highligting should be reasonably easy without the need to wait around for someone with a list.
cj_nza

is there a problem with single and double quotes

Postby jsdev » 14. October 2005 15:54

I am interested in knowing whether there is an incompatibility issue between linux and windows with writing single quotes and double double quotes. Is there any other such fundamental differerence which must be taken into account while developing on windows and deploying to LAMP as I do?
jsdev

Return to XAMPP for Windows