My XAMPP / PHP Education

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

My XAMPP / PHP Education

Postby Tinjaw » 31. July 2005 02:08

Many questions to follow. :D

If I do a "default" install of the latest XAMPP on Win2K will I have a PHP/PEAR command line environment to work with or will I only be able to use PHP pages on the Apache server.
Tinjaw

Postby Wiedmann » 31. July 2005 07:58

The PHP CLI is included in the XAMPP package.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Tinjaw » 31. July 2005 14:16

Danke schön. After a few hours last night I think I figured most of it out. Having both PHP 4 and PHP 5 installed with XAMPP made it a bit tricky at first.

My first follow up question: It appears as the PEAR support is configured to only work with the PHP 5 installation. Is that correct?

Second follow up question: I have the need to build some custom extensions (not sure I am using the correct term) that requires phpize and a build environment. Is there a way to add that suff to a XAMPP environment or do I need to do a seperate full install of PHP to get those tools?

thanks
Tinjaw

Postby Wiedmann » 31. July 2005 14:51

My first follow up question: It appears as the PEAR support is configured to only work with the PHP 5 installation. Is that correct?

Only "pear.bat" uses PHP5 (but in some situations, "pear.bat" is not working in the current XAMPP).
PEAR itself you can use with PHP4 and PHP5.

Is there a way to add that suff to a XAMPP environment or do I need to do a seperate full install of PHP to get those tools?

No. phpize is *nix stuff. You can not build/install PECL-extensions with PEAR or phpize on Windows.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Tinjaw » 31. July 2005 15:02

Wiedmann wrote:No. phpize is *nix stuff. You can not build/install PECL-extensions with PEAR or phpize on Windows.
OK, thanks. This next question I should probably ask in a PHP for Windows forum somewhere else, but since I have your attention... :P

I have downloaded Berkeley DB XML because I want to store XML documents in an XML Native Database. I was hoping to use XAMPP and DBXML together. I wanted to do my development on Windows and port to Linux so that other XAMPP users could benefit from my work regardless of which platform they use.

The PHP examples are included in the Windows download, but only as source. Where do I go to learn how to set up the proper build environment to build the necessary Windows DLLs for using DBXML with PHP on Windows?

Thanks again.
Tinjaw

Return to XAMPP for Windows