mySQL error

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

mySQL error

Postby smeshy123 » 10. July 2005 20:50

When I started up the program it said that mySQL was not working, so I tried to start it manually and I got this error...

Nikita-Smeshkos-Computer:/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/bin nsmeshko$ /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/bin/mysql; exit
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
logout
[Process exited - exit code 1]

And for the record, mySQL does not work...any ideas on how to fix this and get it to work?

Thanks!

Smesh
smeshy123

Postby capitalfellow » 19. July 2005 01:58

Were you trying to start mysql as the user 'nsmeshko'? If so then the problem was likely that since you were not root you could not create the mysql.socket file.

What happens when you open up terminal and do this:

cd /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/
sudo su
mampp startmysql
capitalfellow

Operating System: OS X

Postby seekwhence » 08. September 2005 14:12

i work on a apple powerbook without logged in as root.

to start the apache i enter sudo su to log in as root. after starting the apache with /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/mampp start - the apache is running. if i go to the phpmyadmin-page, it tells my a messege like this in german:

#2002 - Der Server antwortet nicht. (evtl. ist auch der Socket des lokalen MySQL-Servers socket nicht korrekt konfiguriert)

it means, the server does not answer or the the socket is not correct configured...

if i search for mysql.sock - the file does not exists... i think, thats the problem... or? but i dont know...:-(

grüße

matthias
seekwhence

Postby Kristian Marcroft » 08. September 2005 22:56

Hi,

the mysql.sock file is only cerated, if mysql ist started up correctly.

Please check if MySQL is really running?
If not please see the mysql *.err file for more details.

Thank you

So long
KriS
Kristian Marcroft
AF Moderator

Postby EnergizerBunn » 12. September 2005 02:59

Hi,

I already posted this in german - but it seems the English are more active. :)

Here's my mysql error file. I haven't modified anything. Just a blank install I followed from the site and MySQL doesn't start.

Code: Select all
050911 01:31:05  mysqld started
050911  1:31:05 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because file system for /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/var/mysql/ is case insensitive
050911  1:31:05 [ERROR] Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Permission denied
050911  1:31:05 [ERROR] Do you already have another mysqld server running on socket: /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/var/mysql/mysql.sock ?
050911  1:31:05 [ERROR] Aborting

050911  1:31:05 [Note] /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

050911 01:31:05  mysqld ended

And this is my phpmyadmin error message I get

Code: Select all
phpMyAdmin - Error

phpMyAdmin was unable to read your configuration file!
This might happen if PHP finds a parse error in it or PHP cannot find the file.
Please call the configuration file directly using the link below and read the PHP error message(s) that you receive. In most cases a quote or a semicolon is missing somewhere.
If you receive a blank page, everything is fine.
config.inc.php

Thanks a lot in advance!
EnergizerBunn

Postby Wiedmann » 12. September 2005 03:04

050911 1:31:05 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because file system for /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/var/mysql/ is case insensitive

What's this? IMHO the Mac filesystem should be case sensitive and not case insensitiv.

Have you changed the location of the Application folder?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby EnergizerBunn » 12. September 2005 04:09

Hi,

No I haven't

I just untared the .tar.gz into /Applications it then made /xampp/xamppfiles etc.!

I only have one Partition on my HDD so i can't really change the location.

It's in the root of the HDD.

What would i have to change?

Thx,

Johannes
EnergizerBunn

Return to XAMPP for macOS