Can't change Xampp folder attributes

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can't change Xampp folder attributes

Postby whitets » 22. April 2005 03:18

The file/folder attributes for the Xampp and all sub-directories are set to grayed-out read only, etc. I am running a sub-routine called Gallery located in the htdocs folder. In order to update Gallery, that subroutine needs to add/change sub-folders in the htdocs folder. Because the folder attributes are grayed out, I cannot make the directories read-write so Gallery cannot update itself. It seems these settings are set by some user other than Admin since when I log in as Admin, I don't have change rights. How can I make those htdocs sub-folders read-write?

Thanks.

Stan White
whitets

Postby prathapml » 23. April 2005 00:38

If its FAT32 then remove read-only attributes.
If its NTFS then login as Admin, take ownership of that folder/file, then change permissions to be read/write by any user, or by "Everyone".

Gallery is working fine for me here, despite being on NTFS. It just worked straight out, with no need for any permissions modifications.
prathapml

Postby whitets » 23. April 2005 03:27

Thanks. I tried that, but it still doesn't allow me to change the read only attribute of those folders/files either by administrator, or my normal login which is also adminstrator. I also discovered that this applies to all the directories on my computer, not just Xampp. Something wierd.

I think I will need to actually reinstall Gallery. I installed Xampp and then copied files from another of my online websites to the htdocs directory of xampp, including Gallery. When I try to use Gallery on the local website, it discovers that the users/paths are different and it tries to re-write the .users file but can't find the path.

I guess I am trying to do something that can't be done. I didn't want to go through the labor of uploading all the pictures again. I'll just reinstall it on this computer.

Thanks anyway.

Stan
whitets

Postby Wiedmann » 23. April 2005 03:46

but it still doesn't allow me to change the read only attribute of those folders ... I also discovered that this applies to all the directories on my computer,

That's the normal behavior of the Windows Explorer.
--> He change the attributes from the files inside the selected directory, but he can not show you the actual attribute from these files, if you select a directory and he can not change the attribut from the directory itself (grayout means: doesn't know the actual attribut).
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows