Turn off www Service?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Turn off www Service?

Postby hgtwn » 14. April 2005 00:02

Is there a way to stop my xampp from acting like a server on www. I want to run xampp just on my computer so i can debug my website without displaying all my work on the internet for anyone to see if they know my ip address. Is there a way to disable the server from doing this?
hgtwn

Postby hgtwn » 18. April 2005 22:58

---

any suggestions? anyone?
hgtwn

Postby skuipers » 19. April 2005 15:18

Block incoming traffic on port 80 in your router.
skuipers

Re: Turn off www Service?

Postby prathapml » 20. April 2005 03:01

hgtwn wrote:Is there a way to stop my xampp from acting like a server on www. I want to run xampp just on my computer so i can debug my website without displaying all my work on the internet for anyone to see if they know my ip address. Is there a way to disable the server from doing this?
I have similar needs on my testing server.
Using access control would be a simple and solid way to do it.

1. Open notepad, paste all of this into it:
Code: Select all
order allow,deny
deny from all
allow from localhost
2. Now save this text-file with any name you like.
3. Rename the file now, to ".htaccess" (yes, the file-name begins with a dot - you might it find it difficult to create, if so, please post so, and we could help you further along)
4. Now put this file in your htdocs directory.

That's all, now you are protected. Now your web-server will serve pages only if you access http://localhost (and sub-dirs within it) from your own machine alone. Anyone else who tries to visit your IP address will get a 403 (forbidden) or 404 (does not exist) error message.

You can also allow more ppl to access your site as well. For example, you could set it to allow from localhost, and also allow your friend's IP to access your server.

Hoping this helps.....
prathapml

Postby skuipers » 20. April 2005 05:59

Yes, this works fine too.

It is a choice: whether to block the entry at the router (safer when one wants to allow access form outside to nobody) or the .htaccess method (more flexible because there are possiblities to allow access to individuals, as prathapml indicated).
skuipers

Postby Granden » 20. April 2005 23:45

You could start the xampp controler and put apache at stopped you can also change in the httpd.conf file jsut change these part

#
# Controls who can get stuff from this server.
#

Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all

</Directory>

to

#
#

Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all

</Directory>

And if you still want to be able to use the server from the server computer it shall look like this

#
#

Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from localhost

</Directory>

Then just restard the Apache server and the server is not public anymore, hope it could be fore some help.
Granden

Return to XAMPP for Windows